Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Antenna symbol when connected with Golze in flight weather receiver

Author
M
Too Much Forum (107 reputation)Too Much Forum (107 reputation)Too Much Forum (107 reputation)Too Much Forum (107 reputation)Too Much Forum (107 reputation)Too Much Forum (107 reputation)Too Much Forum (107 reputation)Too Much Forum (107 reputation)Too Much Forum (107 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Does anyone knows the meaning of green and read antenna symbols on the map when connected to a Golze inflight weather receiver?

Peter Robertson
Peter Robertson
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Hi Marc,

I know what they are, but not how/why you are seeing them. You don’t by the way say what version of SkyDemon you are running. Are you also running PilotAware?

The symbols are a recent development between SkyDemon and PilotAware to improve the way SkyDemon displays Ground Stations designed to provide Data Uplink to PilotAware equipped aircraft. To see them you would normally require to be running PilotAware with the latest Beta test software (they aren’t yet displayed with the PilotAware public release software) as well as one of the most recent SkyDemon Beta Software Versions. If this isn’t the case, it must be that they are somehow visible because of your Golze Weather Data Receiver.

Tim may be able to advise further.

Regards

Peter
(PilotAware Development Team)
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
The symbols show ground stations where you're receiving FIS-B weather uplink.

The Golze device pretends to be a FIS-B weather uplink to get its weather data into SkyDemon, and I believe it generates these ground stations in phantom locations in order to do that. We have only recently started showing ground station locations.

Marc_17
M
Too Much Forum (107 reputation)Too Much Forum (107 reputation)Too Much Forum (107 reputation)Too Much Forum (107 reputation)Too Much Forum (107 reputation)Too Much Forum (107 reputation)Too Much Forum (107 reputation)Too Much Forum (107 reputation)Too Much Forum (107 reputation)
Hi Peter & Tim,

sorry for my late reply, I haven´t visited the forum for longer time. Thanks for your explanations on my request.

I am not sure which SD version I had installed when posting my question in August last year but the antenna symbol only occurs in case SD is connected with the Golze inflight weather receiver as GDL90 compatible device. Recently it occured using version 3.15.1 or 3.15.0 - not fully sure. I never used PilotAware.

Makes sense that the Golze device pretends to be a FIS-B station to get weather into SD. I´ll try to get this confirmed by Sebastian Golze.
If so, what is the difference between red and green symbol?

Best regards,
Marc

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
The symbol colour is designed to give you an idea of how often we're hearing from a ground station, which in turn gives you an idea of how much data you'll be receiving from it.

In the case of pretend ground stations, as the Golze device is generating, it's probably pretty meaningless.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search