Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Import and export to/from Foreflight

Author
Andy Thompson
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Please could you enable flight plans to be imported and exported to/from Foreflight?

Whilst SD will now work with Avidyne, it does not yet communicate with GTN/GNS navigators via Garmin flightstream.  Which is a real pain.
However, Foreflight does, so it would be great to be able to transfer a flight plan to Foreflight, or indeed from.
I would much rather use SD for VFR navigation, but getting the flightplan into our navigators is where things are sadly lacking. As Tim has mentioned several times, Garmin arent being very helpful with allowing SD to connect to flightstream, so this suggestion is a kind of work-around.

The Foreflight .fpl file is very simple and straightforward. Its an XML file and has sections for waypoints and route information.

Im happy to supply samples, and test any imports/export files if needed.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)
We do support export to GPX format, which is an industry-standard route format that all apps should support. I would be surprised if any other app in our industry didn't support import/export in that format.

Some people use Garmin Pilot to update the databases in their Garmin avionics and also to receive flightplans from SkyDemon and then put them into those avionics.

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
I am a bit confused. SkyDemon exports per email into common formats - a .GPX (GPs eXchange XML) and a .FPL file. I assumed the SkyDemon .FPL is a de facto aviation standard Garmin FPL XML file? Sorry, never used it, but I would expect it to load directly into the common panel mount GPS devices, was I wrong? Converting between XML formats is easy, so I don't really get the point (besides the strange way the mobile devices handle an 'open with' request, but that is another story).
Edited 8/28/2020 2:39:53 PM by pilot-byom
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search