Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Pseudo ILS

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Nothing has changed about our glideslope indication. It simply depicts the diffrence between your angle from current altitude to threshold altitude and the selected glideslope angle, nothing more and nothing less.
Runways
Runways
Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)
Fair enough Tim. Is there any thing we can do to make the Glide Slope in SD agree with the aircraft's Glide Slopes. SD's Localiser is always bang on and agrees with the aeroplanes Localisers.

If there isn't, it may be that we have to make a suitable allowance for the glide slope.

I am sorry to be harping on this point but as you might have guessed I find this a very important useful feature that distinguishes SD from the run-of-the-mill other similar products.

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
The SkyDemon ILS isn't necessarily designed to agree with any other ILS, it's designed to show you the deflection in degrees from a glideslope that you have configured (default 3 degrees). The setting of the real glideslope, the mismatch between your actual altitude and GPS-reported altitude and the position of the real glideslope antenna are all things that could make them disagree.
Runways
Runways
Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)
I wonder if tapping the "Alt" prior to the flight where altitude changes to elevation and vice versa could account for the occasional disparity between SD's ILS and the aircraft's? Thanks.

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
malcolm frost
malcolm frost
Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)
I have just downloaded an APP called Aviation tools for Android. Part of the package is ICAO charts, which show THR elevation and GUND defined as height above WGS84 datum.

Taking LHR 27R these are 78 and GUND 151. Maybe this could account for the discrepancy?
Liam Sandie
Liam Sandie
Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.4K reputation)
Does SD only offer pseudo ils to airfields that actually have ils approaches or does it work with all?

I dragged the hsi on screen today but at Amazon all airfields it did nothing on android.

Liam

https://www.instagram.com/liam548/

sprucegoose
sprucegoose
Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)
Is there a means then to recallibrate the GPS reported altitude within SD so that it exactly matches the pressure-set altimeter?
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
In my personal opinion you are trying to coerce SD into something it really doesn't want to be. SD is a VFR flight planning and navigation tool. It is NOT suited for IFR operations and should NEVER be used as an ILS substitute. I know that it is a real temptation to stuff all those gadgets into SD but it simply cannot do the job because it relies on GPS for position and altitude information, its elevation model is too coarse (1 km resolution, I believe) and does not have any radio receiver (ILS, VFR, NDB or otherwise). If you find yourself in IMC with a suddenly disfunctional ILS receiver, you should explore other options to reach terra firma: switch over to a different approach (minima permitting), ask for PAR guidance (if available) or divert to a different airport. Following SD's "ILS" to the ground is dangerous and can get you into serious trouble. Just don't let yourself be fooled by the looks.

Sorry, but I just wanted to get this out for once.

-- Chris.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon's pseudo-ILS will not give any output below 500' AGL anyway. I am in full agreement with Chris above.

However, the pseudo-ILS will work for many airfields that do not actually have an ILS, since it operates on runway threshold positions and elevation. It does not rely on terrain data in any way; it is designed purely to guide you to a runway threshold (or to 500' above it, for the vertical component).
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
However, the pseudo-ILS will work for many airfields that do not actually have an ILS, since it operates on runway threshold positions and elevation. It does not rely on terrain data in any way; it is designed purely to guide you to a runway threshold (or to 500' above it, for the vertical component).

It was a bit misleading of me to mention terrain data and pseudo-ILS in one sentence. I merely wanted to caution people to fly with their eyes glued to the display and relying on the vertical cross-section for terrain avoidance. This can be extremely dangerous, particularly in mountainous terrain.

The decision to stop the pseudo-Glide Slope Indicator below 500 ft is wise, in my opinion.

As an aid to get into proper position for landing, the pseudo-ILS can be a helpful tool which enhances positional awareness. But that's about as far as I would be prepared to go.

-- Chris.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search