Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Annotation of HX airspace

Author
Daniel_KDF
Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
It seem that Skydemon is not correctly annotating HX airspace. I was flying west of Leipzig/Halle airspace, and during flight preparation with Skydemon I was not aware that the airspace of EDDP is actually mostly D(HX). So I did not ask, if it is active. Only post-flight I discovered that it is actually HX, as shown in the terminal chart.

Is there a reason that Skydemon is not annotating this correctly? Any chance to fix this?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
We don't have a specific HX flag for airspace in our database as it's a German peculiarity. All D airspace has its own activation times, though, so why not simply ask for a clearance?
Daniel_KDF
Daniel_KDF
Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 8/3/2020 8:21:05 AM
We don't have a specific HX flag for airspace in our database as it's a German peculiarity. All D airspace has its own activation times, though, so why not simply ask for a clearance?

Dear Tim,

Let me start with saying that I really like Skydemon. I like the way you render the airspace. I like that you are always coming up with new ideas to improve your product. And I especially like that your SW in running on iOS and Android!

But do you really want to discuss with all your customers how VFR flying works in their respective countries?
Shall we discuss, if all airspace D has its own activation time (I think not) or if I should 'just ask for clearance'? (for entering D I have to switch to Radar for clearance, for D(HX) I could simply listen to ATIS or ask FIS and stay on FIS or not talk to anyone)

I think it is fair to say that in Europe every country has its own 'peculiarities' when it comes to VFR flying. 
You made a business decision to base your product on your own airspace database only. I find this highly problematic, honestly. 
If you look at my posting history, probably half of my posts are about missing/inaccurate/incomplete airspace data or airspace rendering.

What is your goal? Do you want to represent the airspace structure of every country with 100% accuracy? Then I can continue pointing out inaccuracies that I discover. Or do you think 98% accuracy is 'good enough'? In that case, I guess I will move to Foreflight, were I can easily and cheaply add local VFR charts, just to be sure to get the accurate, official data I want for my flying. Although I would really hate to buy only Apple products in the future.

Thank you for your consideration, Tim Smile

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Actually there is a lot to be gained by unifying the presentation of airspace across Europe, which is one of the reasons most people choose SkyDemon.

It sounds like you're saying that airspace annotated (HX) in Germany does not require a clearance to enter, and instead only requires the pilot to listen to an ATIS to determine its state. Is that correct? That is the information I was hoping to extract from you.

Daniel_KDF
Daniel_KDF
Tim Dawson - 8/4/2020 9:14:18 AM
Actually there is a lot to be gained by unifying the presentation of airspace across Europe, which is one of the reasons most people choose SkyDemon.

It sounds like you're saying that airspace annotated (HX) in Germany does not require a clearance to enter, and instead only requires the pilot to listen to an ATIS to determine its state. Is that correct? That is the information I was hoping to extract from you.

Tim, you might want to consult this document. I think it answers your question in a very brief and clear manner:

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Thank you.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
I confirm we have added (HX) to the relevant Leipzig airspace names for the next chart update. Starting in the next software version, you'll also see (HX) on the map label for the airspace if there's room.
Daniel_KDF
Daniel_KDF
Much appreciated! Thank you!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search