Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Co-connection of iLevil and PAW devices?

Author
C S
Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have an iLevil which is great for showing ADSB-in on SD moving map.  Trouble is that there is apparently more low-level (<5kft) traffic in UK airspace equipped with PAW than with ADSB-out.  So can i get ADSB-in and PAW traffic simultaneously on my SD moving map display?  My iLevil will connect fine if i use 'GDL90' device, but can the PAW connect at the same time?

If not possible now, is it/can it be, planned please?

Edited 2/22/2020 3:07:44 PM by C S
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
C S - 2/22/2020 2:34:08 PM
I have an iLevil which is great for showing ADSB-in on SD moving map.  Trouble is that there is apparently more low-level (<5kft) traffic in UK airspace equipped with PAW than with ADSB-out.  So can i get ADSB-in and PAW traffic simultaneously on my SD moving map display?  My iLevil will connect fine if i use 'GDL90' device, but can the PAW connect at the same time?

AIUI iLevil is a wifi access point, as is PAW. You'd be asking your SD phone/tablet to connect to two access points at once, which is not something I believe is possible.

Pilot Aware will also display ADSB-out traffic (as well as FLARM and Mode-S within range of an OGN-R, and bearingless Mode S and C) so why bother with the iLevil at all?

C S
C S
Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)
grahamb - 2/22/2020 3:40:51 PM

AIUI iLevil is a wifi access point, as is PAW. You'd be asking your SD phone/tablet to connect to two access points at once, which is not something I believe is possible.

Pilot Aware will also display ADSB-out traffic (as well as FLARM and Mode-S within range of an OGN-R, and bearingless Mode S and C) so why bother with the iLevil at all?

Thanks Graham, 
You make a good point.  My thinking is that maybe i should retain my iLevil (as ADSB is clearly signalled by the CAA as its preferred conspicuity method for GA longer term -  but also in the hope of future UAT weather broadcasts in the UK and for its existing solid GPS feed to my TRIG xPDR), but fit Rosetta as well - and use that to connect to SD via GDL90 for my traffic alerts?

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
It would probably not be so tough to reconfigure the devices to get on one network, i.e. the recent Stratux forks already went that way, but so far I am a strong believer of binding the GPS position strictly to the device transmitting traffic information! We don't have RAIM for these tinkerboxes and mixing traffic and GPS from different sources? No! Daisy chaining over WiFi and having a central instance do the checks, ok, so unless available ...
Edited 2/23/2020 2:43:26 PM by MarkusM
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
C S - 2/23/2020 2:07:42 PM
grahamb - 2/22/2020 3:40:51 PM

Thanks Graham, 
You make a good point.  My thinking is that maybe i should retain my iLevil (as ADSB is clearly signalled by the CAA as its preferred conspicuity method for GA longer term -  but also in the hope of future UAT weather broadcasts in the UK and for its existing solid GPS feed to my TRIG xPDR), but fit Rosetta as well - and use that to connect to SD via GDL90 for my traffic alerts?

A Rosetta also makes a good position source for a Trig transponder.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search