SkyDemon Forums

Co-connection of iLevil and PAW devices?

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic30319.aspx

By knottygreg - 2/22/2020 2:34:08 PM

I have an iLevil which is great for showing ADSB-in on SD moving map.  Trouble is that there is apparently more low-level (<5kft) traffic in UK airspace equipped with PAW than with ADSB-out.  So can i get ADSB-in and PAW traffic simultaneously on my SD moving map display?  My iLevil will connect fine if i use 'GDL90' device, but can the PAW connect at the same time?

If not possible now, is it/can it be, planned please?
By grahamb - 2/23/2020 6:38:24 PM

C S - 2/23/2020 2:07:42 PM
grahamb - 2/22/2020 3:40:51 PM
C S - 2/22/2020 2:34:08 PM
I have an iLevil which is great for showing ADSB-in on SD moving map.  Trouble is that there is apparently more low-level (<5kft) traffic in UK airspace equipped with PAW than with ADSB-out.  So can i get ADSB-in and PAW traffic simultaneously on my SD moving map display?  My iLevil will connect fine if i use 'GDL90' device, but can the PAW connect at the same time?

If not possible now, is it/can it be, planned please?
AIUI iLevil is a wifi access point, as is PAW. You'd be asking your SD phone/tablet to connect to two access points at once, which is not something I believe is possible.

Pilot Aware will also display ADSB-out traffic (as well as FLARM and Mode-S within range of an OGN-R, and bearingless Mode S and C) so why bother with the iLevil at all?

Thanks Graham, 
You make a good point.  My thinking is that maybe i should retain my iLevil (as ADSB is clearly signalled by the CAA as its preferred conspicuity method for GA longer term -  but also in the hope of future UAT weather broadcasts in the UK and for its existing solid GPS feed to my TRIG xPDR), but fit Rosetta as well - and use that to connect to SD via GDL90 for my traffic alerts?

A Rosetta also makes a good position source for a Trig transponder.