Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Creating a map with all flight tracks flown in a given time period?

Author
D
Too Much Forum (53 reputation)Too Much Forum (53 reputation)Too Much Forum (53 reputation)Too Much Forum (53 reputation)Too Much Forum (53 reputation)Too Much Forum (53 reputation)Too Much Forum (53 reputation)Too Much Forum (53 reputation)Too Much Forum (53 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi fans

What is the easiest and quickest way of creating a map, either SkyDemon or Google or else, where one can have all the flight tracks displayed at once, say for a Month or a Year?

Thanks for sharing
DC
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
It's a SkyDemon feature we are planning to add later this year, but I am unaware of any other products that might do it.
DeeCee 57
D
Too Much Forum (53 reputation)Too Much Forum (53 reputation)Too Much Forum (53 reputation)Too Much Forum (53 reputation)Too Much Forum (53 reputation)Too Much Forum (53 reputation)Too Much Forum (53 reputation)Too Much Forum (53 reputation)Too Much Forum (53 reputation)
thanks for that quick answer Tim.
Guess I'll wait then... though one could do it right now by downloading the individual legs one by one and feeding them into Google World and pasting them on top another, but that is a lot of work and time.

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
This is what I do: use the .KML files from the Skydemon email export and load them into GoogleEarth. All functions are already there and you get a slider for the time selection <from date> <to date>. If Skydemon would simply output the <when> tag to the data points, it would be even easier (right now it needs simple calculations to add individual extrapolated time stamps) - I personally would not spend any development money into functions already well available elsewhere. @Tim Dawson: the direct competition does already deliver the needed GoogleEarth syntax in their .KML files - suggestion: simply add time to the data points in Skydemons .KML file and be done.
Edited 1/18/2020 11:17:46 AM by MarkusM
DeeCee 57
D
Markus, thanks for your input.
Though I got the export of one individual .KML file solved, the problem remains... as an example I have more than 300 legs flown for 2019 alone, how do I export them all into say Google Earth or have them all on the SkyDemon map? Having to export legs one by one and then load them all into a map is tremendous work. Any turnaround?

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
DeeCee 57 - 1/19/2020 10:04:53 PM
Markus, thanks for your input.
Though I got the export of one individual .KML file solved, the problem remains... as an example I have more than 300 legs flown for 2019 alone, how do I export them all into say Google Earth or have them all on the SkyDemon map? Having to export legs one by one and then load them all into a map is tremendous work. Any turnaround?
Sorry, but I know what you mean and yes, I went through my huge pile of flight legs converting one-by-one. I thought of doing a skript for the job, but figured it'll be faster to do it by hand. Once you convert after each flight it'll be fine, but doing the backlog is a PITA. Skydemon is probably not the best solution for such requirements.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
I assumed the OP was asking about a feature that would produce a heatmap similar to the one we've recently released for south-east England:

We do intend to build such a feature into SkyDemon later this year whose output won't be quite like that, but similar enough and useful for people who fly a lot.

Markus, some brief googling didn't yield any results for a "when" tag/attribute, could you be more specific about what you'd like added? We're usually up for fleshing out our export with supported data.

pilot-byom
p
Tim Dawson - 1/20/2020 10:53:01 AM
I assumed the OP was asking about a feature that would produce a heatmap similar to the one we've recently released for south-east England:

We do intend to build such a feature into SkyDemon later this year whose output won't be quite like that, but similar enough and useful for people who fly a lot.

Markus, some brief googling didn't yield any results for a "when" tag/attribute, could you be more specific about what you'd like added? We're usually up for fleshing out our export with supported data.

The GoogleEarth syntax is AFAIK connected to the gx:track function, where the <when> tag gives date and time of a data point. You can easily find the complete syntax i.e. in ForeFlight .kml files. I suppose you have access to them, if not I can dig one up.

DeeCee 57
D
thanks for your comments guys.

Wishful would be the ability to use the "Create Log Summary" with the pertinent GPX and KML formats attached. Those could then be imported into ones map of choice. More of a toy than a real tool for me 😉

pilot-byom
p
DeeCee 57 - 1/21/2020 5:44:23 PM
thanks for your comments guys.

Wishful would be the ability to use the "Create Log Summary" with the pertinent GPX and KML formats attached. Those could then be imported into ones map of choice. More of a toy than a real tool for me 😉

Maybe a little toy‘ish, but nice. i.e to use the GoogleEarth Video capability with the .KML to animate the spiderweb of flights as animation in flight videos. If you do a years summary video and can show the flights as GoggleEarth animation it is a nice add-on. I like looking at the progress of all my flights as GoogleEarth video - lets you smile to see the evolvement of flight length as well ;-).

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search