Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Minimums Callout

Author
z
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Would it be possible to get a field somewhere that users can an enter an altitude (from an approach plate) and it will give a 'minimums' callout upon descending through it?
PaulSS
P
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
zuutroy - 12/31/2019 5:04:19 PM
Would it be possible to get a field somewhere that users can an enter an altitude (from an approach plate) and it will give a 'minimums' callout upon descending through it?

What use would a 'minimums' call be when SD would be based on GPS altitude? An instrument approach will be based on baro alt or rad alt, not GPS alt. If you've got an EFIS you can set up a minimums call on that. If you haven't then you should be able to tell when you're passing minimums on the altimeter or, quite frankly, you shouldn't be allowed near the airfield, let alone an aircraft in IMC.

Why not just use SD as a navigation platform instead of trying to get it to be a one-stop shop for everything aviation. Electronic checklists, financial calculator, AIP library. What's wrong with it just being a very clever map?

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
PaulSS - 1/1/2020 10:01:03 AM

What use would a 'minimums' call be when SD would be based on GPS altitude? An instrument approach will be based on baro alt or rad alt, not GPS alt. If you've got an EFIS you can set up a minimums call on that. If you haven't then you should be able to tell when you're passing minimums on the altimeter or, quite frankly, you shouldn't be allowed near the airfield, let alone an aircraft in IMC.

Why not just use SD as a navigation platform instead of trying to get it to be a one-stop shop for everything aviation. Electronic checklists, financial calculator, AIP library. What's wrong with it just being a very clever map?

I have to say, speaking as an IR rated pilot with proper IFR equipment on board, I’m in 100% agreement with PaulSS here. Burdening SD with all sorts of minority nice-to-haves is not the way I’d like to see the software evolve. 

Keep things simple. Buy one of those little slip on bug-rings that clip around your altimeter if you want a reminder; more flexible, easier, safer, and less hassle if the runway/approach changes at the last minute. 

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
grahamb - 1/1/2020 10:16:10 AM
PaulSS - 1/1/2020 10:01:03 AM

I have to say, speaking as an IR rated pilot with proper IFR equipment on board, I’m in 100% agreement with PaulSS here. Burdening SD with all sorts of minority nice-to-haves is not the way I’d like to see the software evolve. 

Keep things simple. Buy one of those little slip on bug-rings that clip around your altimeter if you want a reminder; more flexible, easier, safer, and less hassle if the runway/approach changes at the last minute. 

Absolutely agreed! Even further, do not put things from the by reason certified world in a consumer grade device as it will bring dumb idiots to fly around in met conditions they were never trained or licensed to do so ... Sorry to be harsh, but just had a talk with some microlight guy being proud of flying IMC 'because it is safe I have an autopilot and Skydemon and a Stratux with synthetic vision' ... an accident to happen in my eyes ;-(

Edited 1/1/2020 2:28:41 PM by MarkusM
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
The viewpoint of SkyDemon aligns with those expressed above; it isn't the goal of SkyDemon to add every possible feature that might be useful.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search