Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Wind Feathers

Author
A
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've just started using SkyDemon and I'm a bit confused by the purple/green wind feathers on the chart.

I assume that more branches mean a stronger wind but how many knots per branch?
What are the readings based on? The location of the feathers don't seem to correspond to the met office spot find chart (form 214) or the TAF/METAR forecast locations.
Is the direction away from the start of tip of the feather?

Thanks!

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
Adam321 - 12/27/2019 10:50:00 AM
I've just started using SkyDemon and I'm a bit confused by the purple/green wind feathers on the chart.

I assume that more branches mean a stronger wind but how many knots per branch?
What are the readings based on? The location of the feathers don't seem to correspond to the met office spot find chart (form 214) or the TAF/METAR forecast locations.
Is the direction away from the start of tip of the feather?

Thanks!

Each branch is the equivalent 10 knots and each half branch is 5 knots. As regards direction, think of the feathers as those on an arrow.

From page 38 of the SD Manual:
SkyDemon includes wind aloft forecast data which is automatically downloaded for the area of your route, and this extends to 25,000 feet and 24 hours ahead. As you plotted a route you may have noticed coloured wind feathers appearing on the main map at regular intervals and tailwind/headwind indicators in the background of the virtual radar window. If you don't see these, ensure that the Wind button on the weather toolbar is ticked, or for tablet/smartphone users tap the Weather menu and toggle ‘Show Forecast Wind Aloft’ on.
The date and time and the level represented by the wind feathers defaults to the date, time and level of your flight, as set in Flight Details.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Adam321
A
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)
Thanks Mike,

What altitude are the readings applicable to or are they ground wind?
Where are the readings taken from? The locations are different from the 214 form at the met office.

Thanks,
Adam

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
Adam321 - 12/27/2019 2:14:09 PM
Thanks Mike,

Where are the readings taken from? The locations are different from the 214 form at the met office.

Thanks,
Adam

As noted in my previous post above ...the date and time and the level represented by the wind feathers defaults to the date, time and level of your flight, as set in Flight Details.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
Adam321 - 12/27/2019 2:14:09 PM
Thanks Mike,

Thanks,
Adam

If you touch on a fletch, the What’s Here pop up will include the exact wind details, and confirm the level it relates to. I believe SD uses the GFS forecast model, so that will be the grid used, not the UKMO one. 

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
SkyDemon is an international product and as such uses an international wind forecast model designed for aviation. The numbers shown at points will of course not always correspond "exactly" with a local chart produced by any national body, as all forecasts show different results. It should always be very close, though.

I am surprised that the interpretation of wind barbs was an issue here; are they no longer teaching this as part of the PPL?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search