Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Roads

Author
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I like the depiction of roads, whether motorway or not, just as they are. 

Trying to do otherwise will create confusion i.e. what actually -is- a 'motorway'? The concept is only relevant to the rules which prevail for the traffic travelling along it. In the UK we have two, three, four and more lane dual-carriageways which are 'motorways', and others which aren't. We have dual carriageways named things like A1(M), which is an A road, but has the rules of a motorway. We have dual carriageways which have sections which are motorways, and other sections which are not. 

This is just the UK. Do we expect Tim to try and come up with a thorough algorithm to achieve consistency across all the vagaries and definitions across all the different countries that SD is used in?

I'd rather he spent his time on more fruitful enhancements.

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
grahamb - 10/8/2019 1:58:09 PM
I like the depiction of roads, whether motorway or not, just as they are. 

Trying to do otherwise will create confusion i.e. what actually -is- a 'motorway'? The concept is only relevant to the rules which prevail for the traffic travelling along it. In the UK we have two, three, four and more lane dual-carriageways which are 'motorways', and others which aren't. We have dual carriageways named things like A1(M), which is an A road, but has the rules of a motorway. We have dual carriageways which have sections which are motorways, and other sections which are not. 

This is just the UK. Do we expect Tim to try and come up with a thorough algorithm to achieve consistency across all the vagaries and definitions across all the different countries that SD is used in?

I'd rather he spent his time on more fruitful enhancements.

My point precisely!

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

efrenken
efrenken
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)
Sky Painter - 10/8/2019 10:04:25 AM
efrenken - 10/7/2019 8:20:53 PM
It is not that hard to distinguish motorways from other roads from 3,000 ft.

How would you distinguish between a motorway and a dual carriageway which is not a motorway?

Kind of dual carriageways are very rare in Germany. And I do prepare my flight!

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
So what you're saying is that it could be a flight safety issue if you fly outside of Germany and may misidentify roads? Smile
Alan999
A
Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)
Currently within the app a decision has been made as to which roads to include and which not to. A farm dirt track is probably not included, as is a small B road. To me it seems that to distinguish between major and minor roads would be not significantly different. An app setting that gave the option to only display dual carriageways (or motorways), or display only A-roads, instead of all roads (above the aforementioned theshold), may make the app more user friendly in some situations.
For example if I fly in Gloucestershire I have the roads showing because the major roads are useful line features, whereas if I fly in Essex I turn the road display off because there are so many roads it becomes fairly meaningless. I find generally, unless flying a helicopter looking for a local address, the smaller roads are not very useful and difficult to use for orientation. In an aeroplane at or above 1500 ft, it is only the major roads that are of use when navigating.
This is of course only my opinion.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search