Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Data Connection Error Message blocks Traffic Radar

Author
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When SD is on-line, it gives error messages like in the screenshot below. I believe this error message window comes up if there is a data link error, or simply if there is no GMS data network available at a given moment. This happens quite frequently in flight (several times per hours, sometimes several times per minute).

This error message only goes away once acknowledged (you need to click the screen somewhere). As seen in the screenshot, this error message is covering the entire Traffic Radar window. If in forward flight (due to mandatory 'lock ahead' feature' the aircraft symbol is then at the bottom of the screen) the error message would also block the view on my aircraft, its position, and any TPX Mode Charlie bearingless traffic red alerts. 

(In the screenshot, the only reason the aircraft symbol is still visible is because I was on the ground when taking this screenshot, and the otherwise mandatory 'lock ahead' feature was suspended, and consequently the aircraft symbol is displayed in the centre on the screen.)

Again as visible in the screenshot, even if acknowledged and pushed away, the error message can come up every 10 seconds (every time SD tries to connect and finds something wrong). This can cause loss of situational awareness in critical phases of the flight. 

I haven't found a setting (besides going off-line) to deactivate these error messages.

- Can this error message be switched off?

- Is this error message needed at all? I have never been able to do anything with it besides pushing it away? To me, it looks more like a debug window needed by your developers.

- If needed at all for the end user, could it then disappear after, say, 5 sec?

- Better even, could it appear in abbreviated form (e.g., "Data Connection Error - for details click here"), similar to the green banner that appears when SD is "Looking for ['GPS] Device"?
-- The detail, where needed can be called up in a separate pop-up window
-- The banner still goes away, either if clicked to dismiss, or after a set time period

P.S.: I am using SD on a cellular iPad mini. I use "Live Data when Flying" to get real-time W/V and weather updates.

Edited 6/30/2019 3:17:37 PM by TimT
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
All such connectivity errors are hidden in flight starting in the forthcoming 3.12.8 version of SkyDemon.
gutberle
g
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)
Excellent that this will be fixed in the forthcoming version! 

However, closely related to this, SD also does not tend to recover from situations that lead to these error messages. Once one such error message pops up, many (many!) more will follow, all saying that I should check if I am connected to the internet, which I am and no other app has problems accessing the WWW.

After a while another message type will start popping up saying that SD could not access its servers and that likely something had changed with my system, license, etc. - None of which is the case.

The only way to recover from this situation I have so far found - and by "this situation" I do not mean the final message type but in fact the mere sitaution where one such error occurs is to log out and back in.

And this is not a simple task at all in mid-flight on my iPad Mini v5 and clearly borders on "dangerously distracting" on my backup device, an iPhone XR, which I keep up and running as well, but which is at arms length, making the screen even smaller ... 

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
If you get the "logged out" message as you described, it's because somebody else has logged in with your credentials and logged out the device on which you're seeing the message in the process.
gutberle
g
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 7/8/2019 10:02:38 AM
If you get the "logged out" message as you described, it's because somebody else has logged in with your credentials and logged out the device on which you're seeing the message in the process.

Well, since noone has my credentials, this will have been me ... - I only purchased SD a couple of weeks ago and am still testing to see if I would rather fly with my iPad mini or with my iPad Air, so I am frequently switching between the two between flights or even legs and then there is my iPhone I am trying to get fluent with using SD so it can serve as a backup, which occupies a login as well.

I did not realize that simply closing down the app on one device does not free the login for that device and that I need to manually log out from a device before I can log into the other device without busting the "two mobile device logins at a time" limit.

Recounting when and where the error messages appeared I am still not sure that this is the entire and only reason for what I am experiencing and which I described above, but now that I am aware, I can simply enjoy SD while waiting to see if the error messages reappear. - Thanks for taking the time to answer!

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Feel free to call us to talk through any error messages if you see any again, we'll need the exact messages but we will then be able to tell you exactly why they might be occurring.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search