Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Feature Request - Import user waypoint from a .kmz file

Author
plume_tray
Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
At the weekend, I was sent an email with a .kmz attachment containing a place marker generated from Google Earth. It was a last minute location change for a helicopter landing site.

I thought I would be able to export the file to SkyDemon on my iPhone, however the app doesn’t appear in the Share Sheet on iOS. And as I didn’t have Google Earth installed, I couldn’t open it to view the new location. Instead I had to ask for screenshots and coordinates, using up valuable time prior to departure.

Would this be possible in future? It would be very convenient.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
KMZ/KML files can contain an enormous amount of different things. We could introduce something that converted simple place markers into user waypoints in SkyDemon but we'd open ourselves up to a lot of accidental imports (of potentially hundreds or thousands of items) and questions along the lines of "you seem to support KMZ but my user-defined airspace/taxiways/whatever aren't appearing, why not?".

Tricky one.

pilot-byom
p
Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)Too Much Forum (957 reputation)
A .KMZ is just a simple ZIPed text file, open it and fetch the data you want doesn‘t work for you?
Edited 5/14/2019 4:35:41 PM by MarkusM
plume_tray
plume_tray
Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.9K reputation)
Not that straight forward on an iPhone unfortunately. But good to know for future reference.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search