Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Best small device?

Author
peastlake
Too Much Forum (649 reputation)Too Much Forum (649 reputation)Too Much Forum (649 reputation)Too Much Forum (649 reputation)Too Much Forum (649 reputation)Too Much Forum (649 reputation)Too Much Forum (649 reputation)Too Much Forum (649 reputation)Too Much Forum (649 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

I fly a Quik GT450 flexwing, and use a iPad Mini 2 to run SkyDemon.

The iPad mini is, I feel, a little too large for the available room on my panel. And it's now, being quite old, beginning to play up a little.

What is the best option to replace it? It needs to have a bigger screen than my IPhone 7, but a smaller one than the iPad mini - and an iPhone XS max, which would probably be perfect with its 6½" screen, is stupidly expensive. There are (quite cheap) 7" tablets available, such as the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 - but is the screen on that device visible in sunlight conditions? & can it manage up to 10K AMSL in an open cockpit? (Sunlight making the screen difficult to see is actually something of an issue with the iPad mini 2!)

Thoughts welcome

(& sorry if this the wrong sub-forum, but I couldn't see one relating hardware)

stevelup
stevelup
Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)
Group: Moderators
It really does depend how much of a problem your size issue is.

The very best thing to replace your Mini 2 with is a 4th or 5th generation Mini. You'll be blown away by how much better the screen is than your Mini 2, and how much faster it is. The 4th and 5th generation Mini has a bonded/laminated screen (no gap between the digitiser and the LCD) and an anti-reflective coating. In bright light it makes a huge difference.

Any cheap Android device will have a lacklustre screen as do most mobile phones.

If you want something smaller, you might want to just consider a second hand big phone (one of the Samsung Galaxy Notes or something similar).

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
stevelup - 4/17/2019 4:09:53 PM
It really does depend how much of a problem your size issue is.

The very best thing to replace your Mini 2 with is a 4th or 5th generation Mini. You'll be blown away by how much better the screen is than your Mini 2, and how much faster it is. The 4th and 5th generation Mini has a bonded/laminated screen (no gap between the digitiser and the LCD) and an anti-reflective coating. In bright light it makes a huge difference.

Any cheap Android device will have a lacklustre screen as do most mobile phones.

If you want something smaller, you might want to just consider a second hand big phone (one of the Samsung Galaxy Notes or something similar).

If it helps, I run SD on my Samsung S8 smartphone (Android). Perfectly usable for SD navigation etc.
Due to space on my panel I have my phone mounted in portrait mode Would probably be better mounted in landscape mode but I can't do that.
Screen brightness seems more than adequate for me.
Tony

Alf
Alf
Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)Too Much Forum (86 reputation)
peastlake - 4/17/2019 11:43:22 AM

I fly a Quik GT450 flexwing, and use a iPad Mini 2 to run SkyDemon.

The iPad mini is, I feel, a little too large for the available room on my panel. And it's now, being quite old, beginning to play up a little.

What is the best option to replace it? It needs to have a bigger screen than my IPhone 7, but a smaller one than the iPad mini - and an iPhone XS max, which would probably be perfect with its 6½" screen, is stupidly expensive. There are (quite cheap) 7" tablets available, such as the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 - but is the screen on that device visible in sunlight conditions? & can it manage up to 10K AMSL in an open cockpit? (Sunlight making the screen difficult to see is actually something of an issue with the iPad mini 2!)

Thoughts welcome

(& sorry if this the wrong sub-forum, but I couldn't see one relating hardware)

Hi,
I had the same problem, a preferred Ipad Mini was still slighty too big. I bought a Xiaomi Mi Max 3, an Android phablet with a 7" screen. It is very bright, cheap (payed around €220.-) and very fast. Additionally the battery lasts very long. I can recommend it!

BR

Edited 6/4/2019 8:20:37 PM by Alf
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search