Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

'Sticky' Colour High Terrain settings?

Author
C S
Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)Too Much Forum (200 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
[Planning] Windows 10 PC Version: 3.12.4
[Flying main device] iPad version: 3.12.4.175
[Flying backup device] Android (S3) version: 3.12.4.27411

I want to set Colour High Terrain parameters as a setting that gets remembered every time i use SD/go flying (since I want to avoid doing all the planning and then getting a different display in the air compared to that used for planning).  And since i fly with two devices, i'd rather like them to behave in the same way (especially on this topic).  I always - and deliberately - use GDL90/iLevil as the position source on the iPad and the built-in GPS as the position source on the Android device, btw.

On PC i get to Colour High Terrain under Mapping, Terrain, Colour High Terrain: I set the ref altitude to e.g. 500ft and the map displayed in SD changes to the expected terrain colouring - but only so long as the dialog box stays on the screen.  These settings get lost if i exit the dialog box however.  How can I retain this Colour High Terrain setting for the next time i open SD for planning on my Desktop PC please?

On iPad [landscape mode] i get to Colour High Terrain under the mapping layer icon bottom RH of screen, Colour High Terrain is a switch that stays on and in the same page as the ref altitude is set.  But if i 'go flying' the ref altitude settings i used in planning mode are then lost - so i  must go back to the Colour High Terrain page to re-select it - but now the reference altitude becomes -300ft, and i cannot change it either, so logically all terrain now shows red.

On Android [Portrait mode] i get to Colour High Terrain under the mapping layer icon bottom RH of screen, Colour High Terrain is a tick in a box that stays on and in the same page as the ref altitude is set whilst in planning.  But as on the iPad, if i 'go flying', the ref altitude settings i used are then lost - so i must go back to the Colour High Terrain page to re-select it - but now the reference altitude becomes -300ft, i cannot change it either - and as iPad, all terrain also now logically shows red.

I have plenty of memory/space on all devices mentioned and would logically expect to download the required High Res Terrain files in the background before going flying if Colour High Terrain is switched on.

Am i doing something wrong/misunderstanding the functionality and which of the above might be a bug please?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)
None of it is a bug. Colour High Terrain is meant to be a temporary feature while planning to help you visually plan a flight through mountainous terrain, without having to constantly refer to virtual radar or another source to see the terrain elevation.

In flight it's also designed to help you fly through mountainous terrain, though of course your current altitude is used as the reference altitude.

We have no plans to make the feature stay on, as (during planning) it requires the input of a reference altitude which will be different for any planned route, and in flight having the feature on before you've actually taken off, or after you've landed, means that all terrain is red (obviously) which isn't a nice sight.

JSG
JSG
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)
Switched over recently frome ForeFlight for VFR flying in Switzerland - very happy so far! Unfortunately for mountain flying, this is required to be on (not enough elevation information on SD base map, neither does it show mountain passages as e.g. the CH ICAO map does which FF overlays). Since it always defaults to off, not nice having to toggle it before or shortly after takeoff (ofc. a luxury issue). If you don't know why, check terrain around e.g. LSTZ.
Idea reg. previously mentioned concern: have a setting for "auto colour high terrain" with default off but able to set a AAL value and toggle off when landed
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)
SkyDemon does include mountain passes, VFR routes through the mountains and GAFOR routes. Are you sure you can't see them? If you've just noticed one missing, please let us know.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search