Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Feature Request - Highlight New/Unread Notams

Author
plume_tray
Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
As the title suggests, highlight any new or unread Notams in the Notams tab, would make reading them more effective and efficient as it would differentiate between those you have already read vs any new ones.

Upon reading (or maybe clicking) on a new notam, it becomes unhighlighted. And this would be reflected across multiple devices for the same user/account, so if like me I use iPhone and iPad, I wouldn’t have to see the same new Notam highlighted twice if I’ve already seen it on one device.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
To be clear, are you saying you'd be happy to click on every single NOTAM to "mark as read"? That's what such a feature would entail, as we certainly couldn't assume that just because the NOTAM had been shown in your briefing that meant it had been read.
plume_tray
plume_tray
Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)Too Much Forum (7K reputation)
Yes, indeed clicking each one would work. If there’s a better way then go for it.

Surely, most users when viewing will click on a Notam to highlight its location on the map. This itself could initiate the ‘mark as read’ change to the Notam status.

Just look at all the Notams for cranes or UAS over London, there’s so many of them it’s hard to know which are new unless you have either a good memory or are using some sort of tracking system - highlighting would focus the user to new Notams, enabling better situational awareness and less time spent trawling through the same Notams over and over.

We are part way there with the ability to hide a Notam but this isn’t possible for all Notams.

This is win-win for flight safety.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
I think we are a long way from proving your idea as a "win-win".

The ability to hide NOTAMs approaches the problem from the other, cautious side. If you had to mark every NOTAM as read, and then you forgot about one that was faded or however "read" NOTAM appear, that would mean you wouldn't be aware of it. That could be a crane, or some military exercises, or anything. All it takes is a long-standing NOTAM to be forgotten about by you.

Lots of NOTAM cannot be graphically depicted usefully on the map, so there's not necessarily an easy link between viewing and marking as read, though I appreciate one could make the inference.

I don't think there is room for hiding and also for a marking as read system. They would cause confusion between each other.

emporer
e
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
i agree with tim
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search