Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Skydemon intelligent voice alerts with Pilotaware

Author
neilmurg
Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've just acquired the SD beta with voice alerts and I fly with Pilotaware
Has anyone looked at the differences in the messages given by the two systems? I want to decide which one I would prefer.
I understand that SD doesn't voice alert bearingless targets, and if I use GDL90 for my PAw connection I won't get bearingless range rings either.
SD also has airspace and runway warnings, which could/should be a big plus.
I haven't got any preference at this point, I just want to understand the differences to make an informed choice. If I could run a simulation with both systems I would understand best, but at the moment I don't know how to do that.
Running both systems together while flying doesn't seem ideal and I think I'd have to use an accent in SD to make it clear which system was speaking...
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
I'd suggest you try them both and stick with whatever you prefer.
neilmurg
neilmurg
Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)
Tried it today but failed to learn what I wanted Sad

I have PAw connected to the Audio Panel via 3.5mm audio cable. SD connected to headset via Bluetooth (it should also connect to the Bluetooth Audio Panel, but I couldn't confirm that that worked)

Lessons learnt:
Check PAw WiFi connect and Audio OK. Goto 192.168.1.1/configure and press 'Test' if you don't hear 'Pilotaware' (Audio Panel didn't have 'Music' selected (the PAw channel)). So no PAw sound.
Check SD Bluetooth connection successful, select new voice in SD (it then speaks so you can check setup) and make sure you hear it (My Bluetooth volume on headset was on minimum / 0). So no SD intelligent sound.
Mk1 eyeball still works! Conflict, 300ft above on climb out, flying 50 ft above ATZ on the runway track... I saw it later on the .trk file / aircrew.co.uk
Get someone else to operate aircraft while I operate the test

.trk file (from PAw) was useful. I saw what it picked up. Also saw most targets that were of interest were Mode C/S, therefore bearingless at the moment. SD wouldn't have warned for my 300ft conflict opposite direction overhead. That's not a criticism of SD, too early to tell, reduced warnings are a potentially great benefit. Other bearingless targets were dubious (echos?) or in the circuit (too many to be useful, Mk1 eyeball preferred)

Not what I intended to learn, but learning. I hope that's helpful to someone.

neilmurg
neilmurg
Tim Dawson - 2/15/2019 4:00:20 PM
I'd suggest you try them both and stick with whatever you prefer.

Yes that's what I'll do Tim. I also want to gather/give useful information to inform others making the choice. And feedback to Skydemon and Pilotaware for our mutual benefit. Thanks for this new capability, I think it's potentially very beneficial.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search