Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Height filtering of NOTAMS and alerts

Author
T67M
Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Two ideas in one...

1. Would it be possible to move all of the "low level" NOTAMs to the end of the brief so that, for example, all the balloons, cranes and UAS flights below 400ft are easier to skip over without missing a significant NOTAM in their midst?

2. When flying at (say) 2000ft, could alerts like "may ahead, climb above 1,200'" be disabled because I'm already significantly (500ft+) above the obstruction so I don't need to climb?

BTW love the new engine start/stop and on/off blocks buttons, although the presentation of the data in the post flight log is a little confusing.

Keep up the good work,

T67M

jollyrog
jollyrog
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
T67M - 9/29/2018 6:55:46 PM
Two ideas in one...

1. Would it be possible to move all of the "low level" NOTAMs to the end of the brief so that, for example, all the balloons, cranes and UAS flights below 400ft are easier to skip over without missing a significant NOTAM in their midst?

2. When flying at (say) 2000ft, could alerts like "may ahead, climb above 1,200'" be disabled because I'm already significantly (500ft+) above the obstruction so I don't need to climb?

BTW love the new engine start/stop and on/off blocks buttons, although the presentation of the data in the post flight log is a little confusing.

Keep up the good work,

T67M

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic26136.aspx

T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)
Ah - didn't spot that thread. Although I'm also not suggesting a filter - merely that "low level" NOTAMs are sorted to the end of the list, and maybe with a banner above them saying "all NOTAMs after this are below 500'agl".
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
You shouldn't see NOTAMs if your plan is to fly significantly above them. Have you tweaked your narrow route briefing vertical proximity threshold?

You didn't mention in what way you find the presentation of engine/blocks times confusing so it's difficult to do anything about that.

T67M
T67M
Tim Dawson - 10/1/2018 11:14:03 AM
You shouldn't see NOTAMs if your plan is to fly significantly above them. Have you tweaked your narrow route briefing vertical proximity threshold?

You didn't mention in what way you find the presentation of engine/blocks times confusing so it's difficult to do anything about that.

Apologies - there was a typo in my original post, and I'd confused things further by making one post when I should have split it in three (pre-flight NOTAM briefing, in-flight obstacle alerts, and post-flight details window. 

Pre-flight NOTAM briefing: I'd suggest that sorting the "low level" NOTAMs into a separated section at the bottom of the briefing would be useful.

In flight obstruction alerts: The "climb above X ft" alert when I'm already well above that height is triggered on MASTS (not mays!). NOTAMs are correctly filtered out already. 

Post-flight details window: The confusing layout is on Android on a phone (in case it makes a difference). The layout is currently 
Line 1: Engine on time only, Engine off time only, Engine time
Line 2: Departure airfield, Destination airfield
Line 3: Take off date and time, Landing date and time
Line 4: Flight time, Blocks time, Distance

I would prefer to see
Line 1: Engine on, Engine off, Engine time (i.e. no change)
Line 2: Off blocks, On blocks, Blocks time (on/off blocks not currently shown at all)
Line 3: Takeoff time, Landing time, Flight time (remove the date, move flight time here)
Line 4: Date of flight, DIstance (drop the route of flight - it's merely repeating the title bar of the window)

This way all three "time lines" are together, have the same format left-to-right (start, end, difference), and are sorted longest to shortest (engine, blocks, flight). I could argue that Line 4 should in fact be at the top, but I've drafted this on the basis of minimum-change. I've tried to GIMP what I mean here (before and after, with due apologies for more poor GIMP skills):

jollyrog
jollyrog
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
10 mile radius plan from Redhill yesterday. Many NOTAMs for cranes. One NOTAMed as 79ft AGL.

Agreed, this drivel shouldn’t be in the system, but it is.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
Regarding the obstacle warning, SkyDemon shouldn't be warning about an obstacle you're already well above UNLESS you're in a descent taking you right towards it. Was that the case?
T67M
T67M
Tim Dawson - 10/2/2018 10:43:31 AM
Regarding the obstacle warning, SkyDemon shouldn't be warning about an obstacle you're already well above UNLESS you're in a descent taking you right towards it. Was that the case?

I've noticed it several times whilst in basically straight-and-level flight, but obviously when hand-flown, there may be momentary descents followed by momentary ascents (or vice versa). Looking at the extended track in the vertical profile display, it can sometimes appear to be quite "twitchy", which could account for the alerts I guess. Even if so, the message "climb above Xft" is confusing - it would be clearer as "remain above Xft".

T67M
T67M
jollyrog - 10/2/2018 8:11:17 AM
10 mile radius plan from Redhill yesterday. Many NOTAMs for cranes. One NOTAMed as 79ft AGL.Agreed, this drivel shouldn’t be in the system, but it is.

Playing devil's advocate, this "drivel" may be relevant to a helicopter pilot planning to land in the vicinity, but for most GA aircraft, it's best skipped over. That should (IMO) be a conscious decision by the pilot, not a blanket decision taken for everyone by the NOTAM office/SkyDemon, however they do have the power to present the data in a clearer way.

jollyrog
jollyrog
T67M - 10/2/2018 12:37:49 PM
jollyrog - 10/2/2018 8:11:17 AM
10 mile radius plan from Redhill yesterday. Many NOTAMs for cranes. One NOTAMed as 79ft AGL.Agreed, this drivel shouldn’t be in the system, but it is.

Playing devil's advocate, this "drivel" may be relevant to a helicopter pilot planning to land in the vicinity, but for most GA aircraft, it's best skipped over. That should (IMO) be a conscious decision by the pilot, not a blanket decision taken for everyone by the NOTAM office/SkyDemon, however they do have the power to present the data in a clearer way.

There was another one this morning Mike, 72ft AGL, in the congested area. If you don't bump into that in your helicopter, you're likely to hit a lamp post instead. <300ft shouldn't be accepted into the system, but in the congested area even that is lower than the towerblocks. We really need to filter it out.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search