Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

In flight shortcuts to scratch pad, event logging and fuel tank management

Author
j
Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I love SD - great app!

Some improvements in flight mode
- Add a button for direct access to the scratch pad, e.g., as another tab on the right below radio
- Allow to quickly register timings of engine start/stop, block on/off by, e.g., displaying a permanent button over the map (like for the menu but in the upper right corner) that automatically proposes the next logical log item: on the ground, “engine start” then “blocks off”; in the air; the button disappears (or helps logging fuel tank changes, see note below); when back on the ground, “blocks on” then “engine stop”. Additionally, a menu could allow to select which of the above events the user wants to actually log/display in the button (e.g., only the block on/off)
- More active management of the fuel tank selector: the app tells the pilot which tank is on and for how long (displaying the cumulative time spent on each tank). A simple tap on the display would trigger a switch of tanks

All relatively simple and intuitive features for the user. The fuel tank tracker would tremendously improve flight safety as well.

Please keep SD going strong as it is today!
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
jbmoens - 9/3/2018 8:29:34 PM
I love SD - great app! Some improvements in flight mode- Add a button for direct access to the scratch pad, e.g., as another tab on the right below radio- Allow to quickly register timings of engine start/stop, block on/off by, e.g., displaying a permanent button over the map (like for the menu but in the upper right corner) that automatically proposes the next logical log item: on the ground, “engine start” then “blocks off”; in the air; the button disappears (or helps logging fuel tank changes, see note below); when back on the ground, “blocks on” then “engine stop”. Additionally, a menu could allow to select which of the above events the user wants to actually log/display in the button (e.g., only the block on/off)- More active management of the fuel tank selector: the app tells the pilot which tank is on and for how long (displaying the cumulative time spent on each tank). A simple tap on the display would trigger a switch of tanksAll relatively simple and intuitive features for the user. The fuel tank tracker would tremendously improve flight safety as well.Please keep SD going strong as it is today!

Some improvements in flight mode - Add a button for direct access to the scratch pad...

To access the Scratch Pad in flight, just swipe left in the Virtual Radar window. No tab or button required!

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

jbmoens
j
Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)Too Much Forum (142 reputation)
Thanks Mike!

I do find the switching to the scratch pad to still be a bit challenging and random: it often does not respond or, on a iPad mini 4, it brings the multitasking app from the right (which is also helpful in its own). You usually want the scratch pad to unequivocally come up when you suddenly need it! I’ll need more robustness (or practice?) before ditching my paper pad...
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
jbmoens - 9/4/2018 8:19:06 PM
Thanks Mike!I do find the switching to the scratch pad to still be a bit challenging and random: it often does not respond or, on a iPad mini 4, it brings the multitasking app from the right (which is also helpful in its own). You usually want the scratch pad to unequivocally come up when you suddenly need it! I’ll need more robustness (or practice?) before ditching my paper pad...

Make sure that you start your left swipe at the far right-hand edge of the screen and make it a nice long swipe and it will work everytime Smile

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

vfr-uk
vfr-uk
Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)
This an old topic I know, but having stumbled upon this today (as I re-learn SkyDemon after a break from flying) a couple of things strike me:

A) swiping virtual radar for a scratchpad iisnt at all intuitive or in-keeping with the rest of SkyDemon

b) why doesn’t finger movement in the virtual radar move/scale it around temporarily just like the map? And then revert after time just like the map. That way could check out distant airspace and higher airspace etc. Just curious.

A scratchpad button seems the more obvious choice.

Some iconography in the menus, rather than just text, would also help.
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
vfr-uk - 7/3/2019 9:46:04 PM
This an old topic I know, but having stumbled upon this today (as I re-learn SkyDemon after a break from flying) a couple of things strike me:A) swiping virtual radar for a scratchpad iisnt at all intuitive or in-keeping with the rest of SkyDemon b) why doesn’t finger movement in the virtual radar move/scale it around temporarily just like the map? And then revert after time just like the map. That way could check out distant airspace and higher airspace etc. Just curious. A scratchpad button seems the more obvious choice. Some iconography in the menus, rather than just text, would also help.

You can also access the scratchpad by tapping on the SD orb in the top left-hand corner of the screen.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

vfr-uk
vfr-uk
Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.7K reputation)
Yes, understood, that’s the method I was using. My comment was more about the ‘more direct access’.

Loving SkyDemon now on my phone and iPad, and all the enhancements since I last used it.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search