Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Find open airfields

Author
derWessi
Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,
I'm currently planing a longer trip and was looking for airfields on my planed route that are suitable for a short break in between. I found that many airfields along my planned route are not open or PPR is required on the planned trip date. Maybe this is a just specific problem just in Germany where you are not allowed to land on airfields outside the opening hours.
Anyways I thought it would be great to have the possibility to highlight all open airfields in the map for a specific date / time.
Recently the "Find a Destination" tool was added to Skydemon.  Also you added the opening hours in the Admin Information tab. 
So the information and tool for this feature should be already available.
Also it would be nice to have the possibility to highlight open fields in the vicinity while flying. For example when using the direct to feature, you could add a checkbox to only show those airfields that are currently open.

Regards,
Andreas

derWessi
derWessi
Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)
SemperFi - 7/17/2018 10:21:03 AM
If you do a proper flight planning, you know exactly which airfields to land and if in doubt call them in advance.

And that's exactly why I suggested this feature. For a convenient and quick way of checking the open fields while doing the flight planning. Of course you can check the AIP for each airfield on your route but it's much more work than just entering a time and see all airfields on the map that are suitable. It's the same as for the Runway Availability feature in the "Find a Destination" tool. Just a quick filter of all potential airfields. Of course one will have to check the NOTAMS and the AIP in addition as part of the normal flight preparation. The second part of my request (Direct-To) was just an additional nice to have feature...

SemperFi - 7/17/2018 10:21:03 AM
Further on, you have to define what you mean exactly by German "opening hours"? Are you referring to the hours published in the AIP, or the once in NOTAMs, or the once on their respective website, or their real life handling, or their real world being on the field and taking the AFIL PPR?
I'm referring to the hours published in the AIP as these are the only relevant ones for planning. 

derWessi
derWessi
SemperFi - 7/17/2018 2:46:22 PM
Sorry, I don't see a real value added, as you have to check the fields completely anyways.

No I only need to check those airfields that are marked as "open" for the given time. Those that are closed anyway or PPR at my planed time I'm not really interested in (only if I really have no other choice). 
And please allow me this remark: Just because you don't see any benefit, it doesn't mean there is no benefit for others. :-)

TouchTheSky
T
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
derWessi - 7/17/2018 3:12:55 PM
SemperFi - 7/17/2018 2:46:22 PM
Sorry, I don't see a real value added, as you have to check the fields completely anyways.

No I only need to check those airfields that are marked as "open" for the given time. Those that are closed anyway or PPR at my planed time I'm not really interested in (only if I really have no other choice). 
And please allow me this remark: Just because you don't see any benefit, it doesn't mean there is no benefit for others. :-)

I would certainly welcome such a feature.

TouchTheSky
T
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
SemperFi - 7/18/2018 7:02:11 AM
Lots of microlight/ultralight cowboys here?

Could somebody explain why I need the opening hours of an airfield which I am not originally intended to fly to?

SemperFi, your opinion is duly noted, please respect ours accordingly.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
I can definitely see the benefit of the proposed feature. We currently only maintain opening hours data for Germany, because a) the data is provided to us digitally and b) there's this German rule which makes it more important than normal that opening hours are known by the pilot. If we were to write such a feature I'd want it to work beyond Germany, and it would also take some additional development to fully preserve the digital timesheet information in our airfield data (it's just text at the moment).
ch.ess
c
Too Much Forum (515 reputation)Too Much Forum (515 reputation)Too Much Forum (515 reputation)Too Much Forum (515 reputation)Too Much Forum (515 reputation)Too Much Forum (515 reputation)Too Much Forum (515 reputation)Too Much Forum (515 reputation)Too Much Forum (515 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 7/18/2018 10:50:34 AM
I can definitely see the benefit of the proposed feature. We currently only maintain opening hours data for Germany, because a) the data is provided to us digitally and b) there's this German rule which makes it more important than normal that opening hours are known by the pilot. If we were to write such a feature I'd want it to work beyond Germany, and it would also take some additional development to fully preserve the digital timesheet information in our airfield data (it's just text at the moment).

Hi Tim,
All of the above should be the same for Austria, too ?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
I have no idea.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search