Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Leg altitude and properties

Author
A
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
‌‌First a bit of praise:
‌I am not sure when the feature was introduced, but I learned today that I can measure in planning mode just like in flight mode by ctrl-clicking on the top-view map on the PC. Very practical.
Also, introduced earlier this week, the double-click in the side view to center the top view now also exists the other way around. Also quite practical.

H‌owever, double-clicking a leg in the top-view used to bring up the "leg properties" panel, where one could change a leg's altitude and engine setting. The two ways now is via double-clicking the leg in the route plan or right-click on the map + leg properties somewhat down the pop-up menu, and I find both methods a bit lengthy.
-‌> 1. Similar to the measure thing, could we get for example a shift-click or alt-click on the top view instead to bring up the leg property panel?
On the iThings there is no shift or alt so long touch on the leg and leg properties at the top‌ it is.
-‌> 2. if the right-click method should remain the primary path on PC, can we get the "leg properties" at the top of the pop-up as well for consistency with the tablets?

‌‌Secondly, and related to this:
W‌hen I plan a route via the "create route" icon or menu, possibly with intermediate turning points, the selected plane's default level is used for all the legs, even if it makes me fly through mountains. I can (and I do) get a warning for this in "planning options", where I get asked to adjust the leg to the MSA, but before that all the legs still have the "use route level" box ticked, so I can raise them above the mountain tops all at once, or deactivate only the few that are actually interfering, maybe to something else than the MSA like next appropriate half-circle altitude. Right-clicking "Append to route" has the same behavior, using the route level, even if it is no longer the plane's default.
This is the behaviour I expect.

‌W‌hen I plan a route by clicking successive points on the top view, whether it's creating a route from scratch or adding to an existing one, and the selected plane's default level is lower than the highest MSA along a leg, that leg's altitude is set automatically to some altitude near the MSA but not exactly, apparently 100-400ft lower. Most importantly, all such legs have their "use route level" box un-ticked, and all sub-legs created by dragging it also inherit the un-ticked box. Now I need to enter each leg (however small) again to find and re-tick the "use route level" box so I can raise everything at once. On my iPhone the tick-box is not even shown, so that makes it complicated.
‌T‌his is not the behaviour I would expect. ‌My planning flow is to plan legs first and altitudes second. It should not matter if I preselect every single turn in "create route" or if I click myself forward, I want the same flow. So deactivating "use route level" in some places and not in others messes things up. ‌I had to do an in-flight re-planning the other day, and having altitudes suddenly all over the place was very confusing, if I don't trust the side-view I won't trust the top-view either, at a time when workload was already above average. Or at least it's a feature I would like to be able to deactivate.
-‌> 3. Can this automatic altitude setting be made switchable on/off?

T‌hank you.‌

Edited 6/29/2018 7:29:49 PM by ArnaudC
ArnaudC
A
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Tim? Any comments on this?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
No, no comments. I have no strong feelings on any of the issues raised.

As always, the number of people using SkyDemon is such that we wouldn't change existing behaviour unless we saw significant number of people on here (or elsewhere) stating they desire such a change.

ArnaudC
A
So the two different ways to handle altitudes when planning are an intended feature?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Yes
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search