Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

PilotAware Ground Stations

Author
PeterGristwood
Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've noticed that where PilotAware has set up one of the OGN groundstations on SD it will show with an aircraft symbol with the name G-STN and associated details.

Is there any way 
1‌) The ground station symbol could be shown, say, as a mast
2‌) We can opt to show or not show them on SD
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
I will paste the reply I gave via customer support to a very similar enquiry yesterday.

Our policy is that we display every piece of traffic reported.
For some reason, PilotAware reports a ground station as a piece of (albeit static) traffic, therefore we display it. I have always held the opinion that PilotAware should not report ground stations as traffic, because they are not traffic.
There is a suggestion from the manufacturer of PilotAware that we ignore traffic marked as “static”, but that does not sit well with me, because I believe this is/was designed for things like static tethered balloons, which SkyDemon definitely needs to take into account when performing traffic warning calculations.‌

T‌‌‌he best thing would surely be for PilotAware to adopt its own option so the customer can control whether it sends ground stations across as pieces of traffic.

PeterGristwood
PeterGristwood
Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 6/27/2018 11:11:50 AM
I will paste the reply I gave via customer support to a very similar enquiry yesterday.

For some reason, PilotAware reports a ground station as a piece of (albeit static) traffic, therefore we display it. I have always held the opinion that PilotAware should not report ground stations as traffic, because they are not traffic.
There is a suggestion from the manufacturer of PilotAware that we ignore traffic marked as “static”, but that does not sit well with me, because I believe this is/was designed for things like static tethered balloons, which SkyDemon definitely needs to take into account when performing traffic warning calculations.‌

T‌‌‌he best thing would surely be for PilotAware to adopt its own option so the customer can control whether it sends ground stations across as pieces of traffic.

Thanks Tim
A‌pologies as I've just seen the discussion on the other side.‌

leemoore1966
leemoore1966
Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.8K reputation)
PeterGristwood - 6/28/2018 11:43:59 AM
Tim Dawson - 6/27/2018 11:11:50 AM

There is a suggestion from the manufacturer of PilotAware that we ignore traffic marked as “static”, but that does not sit well with me, because I believe this is/was designed for things like static tethered balloons, which SkyDemon definitely needs to take into account when performing traffic warning calculations.

The best thing would surely be for PilotAware to adopt its own option so the customer can control whether it sends ground stations across as pieces of traffic.

Thanks Tim
Apologies as I've just seen the discussion on the other side.
Hi Peter, Tim
We have added an option in PilotAware to Enable/Disable the position of ground stations to connected navigation devices.
This will be in the next release.
Thx
Lee

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search