Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Android METAR/TAF Widget

Author
dave_kent
Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
There are a number of Android widgets available that show METAF and TAF info on the phone's home screen, but they're all a bit flakey and quite often break because they are not well supported - even the paid ones.  I used to use AirReport Pro.

‌‌Would it be possible to have a widget sourced from Skydemon that would allow selection of either a named or the nearest airport's weather?  I'd rather have it in un-decoded form. 

‌‌I find it very useful to have a quick way to view the current/forecasted weather on the days I plan to fly (especially if the weather is marginal), and, as a low hours flyer, it also helps me to relate the cloud descriptions to actual weather (by looking out of the window I can see what FEW030 actually looks like!).

T‌hanks for your consideration,
D‌ave‌
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
We'd certainly consider it if enough people chimed in here assuring us it's something with widespread interest.
Peer
Peer
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
I think this is a great idea! I would use it.

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
I also think it is a good idea. Perhaps use one's location to determin the nearest xx airfields?
T‌ony
T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)
Have you tried Avia Weather? It has a TAF+METAR widget for Android and I've never known it to get it wrong.
dave_kent
dave_kent
Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)
T67M - 4/10/2018 5:10:18 PM
Have you tried Avia Weather? It has a TAF+METAR widget for Android and I've never known it to get it wrong.

Thanks for the pointer - i've given it a go over the last couple of days and apart from it having too many features (too much is not always a good thing), it has struggled to download the TAFs, particularly today.  Also the widget doesn't support "nearest airfield", which is very useful in the South East.

‌A simple small widget of METAR data is all I need, with a choice in the widget of nearest or named airfield.  I used to run two widgets: one with my home airfield and the other the nearest - that gave me all the coverage I needed.

‌C‌heers, Dave‌

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search