Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Does anyone else find Sky Demon does not show conflicting traffic clearly enough on its charts.

Author
G
Too Much Forum (202 reputation)Too Much Forum (202 reputation)Too Much Forum (202 reputation)Too Much Forum (202 reputation)Too Much Forum (202 reputation)Too Much Forum (202 reputation)Too Much Forum (202 reputation)Too Much Forum (202 reputation)Too Much Forum (202 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Does anyone else find Sky Demon does not show PilotAware conflicting traffic clearly enough on its charts?  Runway HD shows them as very conspicuous coloured Darts with grey background height info alongside (as per below first image) but Sky Demon (as per below second image) simply shows them as white mini-aircraft with yellow background height info which I don't think stands out nearly as well. Could Sky Demon please add flexibility to users to choose how conflicting traffic appears on the charts in terms of colours and icons?

RUNWAY HD CONFLICTING TRAFFIC
‌‌‌

S‌KY DEMON CONFLICTING TRAFFIC
‌‌
TimT
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Gaznel - 3/17/2018 8:20:16 PM
Does anyone else find Sky Demon does not show PilotAware conflicting traffic clearly enough on its charts?  Runway HD shows them as very conspicuous coloured Darts with grey background height info alongside (as per below first image) but Sky Demon (as per below second image) simply shows them as white mini-aircraft with yellow background height info which I don't think stands out nearly as well. Could Sky Demon please add flexibility to users to choose how conflicting traffic appears on the charts in terms of colours and icons?

RUNWAY HD CONFLICTING TRAFFIC
‌‌‌

S‌KY DEMON CONFLICTING TRAFFIC
‌‌

I am not sure if one can say that RunwayHD does a better job here in absolute terms. Everybody may have a different taste. Already depending on which SkyDemon map you use may make the 'targets' stand out more or less.

‌Clearly the 'market' is learning, and trying out different things how to best visualise traffic on the navigation map. Maybe SD can consider offering different symbols and colour settings for 'targets', including blinking or other innovative styles. I see that most vendors still struggle finding the right solution, in particular for the other information besides position (namely speed, delta ATL and climbing/descending). I must say I quite like the way SD shows speed (as a 'speed vector').

‌Future versions I suppose will come with algorithms that analyse the multitude of traffic, and determine which targets pose an imminent threat. Im your screenshots, you probably don't need to worry too much about the traffic that is 6 to 10,000 feet above, and moving away from you, right? If I see correctly, RHD is taking a stab at it already by showing targets with the same ALT as you in yellow, all others in green. 

T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)
It is worth remembering that collision avoidance is only one use of electronic conspicuity - another common use is to allow friends flying in separate aircraft to join up together, hence being able to identify blips from a distance by registration can be very useful. Even better would be to have a "highlight G-xxxx" option somewhere in the menu, or maybe allow "track G-xxxx" functionality similar to the existing "track waypoint" function.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Your screenshot doesn't show any conflicting traffic. If it did, you'd see that conflicting traffic is shown yellow, and then red. We think it's pointless making all other aircraft different colours when they don't pose a threat. In the future when the majority of other aircraft are displayed on your map, the last thing you want is non-conflicting traffic drawn in bright attention-seeking colours.

You also cut off the SkyDemon traffic radar display, whose sole purpose is to show traffic around you. The map is not necessarily the best place to read such information. ‌‌‌‌
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search