Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Geo referenced approach plates.

Author
tschnell
Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
IMHO there is no real need for a „complicated“ solution, like switching the plate to a fullscreen-mode during an IFR approach. You could simply present the full plate without cutting off the upper and lower parts, even if this covers a larger portion of the basemap. To me, this would be perfectly fine in the approach phase of an IFR flight.
Now if you could also add the IFR procedure waypoints (like „JA431“and the likes) SD would be the one-stop-solution for all of my flying...
drnicolas
drnicolas
Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 2/6/2018 3:28:03 PM
Our current thinking at the moment is to abandon our own map entirely when you've transitioned into making an IFR approach. We could instead present the IFR documents fullscreen with your aircraft symbol on. Thoughts welcome.

I agree with you!.
Today, I tried a quick simulation with a apprach plate in EDGS and EDVK
Looks great and worked great! It even worked in course up‌ mode. Great help for sitiuonal awareness! Some other postings asked for the complete plate inculding the vertical profile already.
One problem: When I panned thze map (that is where the yellow arrows appear‌), the plate some times did not follow the panning. But it was correct again when the map jumped back to its original position.
But indeed, an even better solution would be presenting the approach plate separated from the normal map as soon as you start your approach. The complete plate including the vertical profile and MAP info rotated for course up is not a good idea.
At least 5 thum‌bs up for the latest development coup!
Some ideas:
- Combine‌ it with SIDs and STARs
- find‌ a more convenient/quicker way of switching to the right approach plate.
- At least it  would be fine  to go direct to the IAFs. That is where you are sent to from ATC
- Add  access‌ to autorouter.eu as part of the flight plan filing process (sorry for that, but they do calculate routes)

Again: Congratulations!

tschnell
tschnell
Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)
‌‌‌
Combine‌ it with SIDs and STARs

At least on some of the airports, SIDs and STARs are already georeferenced. But honestly, the added value of that is rather limited in practical flying: The SIDs should rather be presented in the basemap by adding the procedure waypoints and connecting the relevant ones from the FPL data. As for STARs: When was the last time you had to fly one?

‌‌‌
Add  access‌ to autorouter.eu as part of the flight plan filing process

You are aware that you can already import an‌ Autorouter-generated flightplan into SkyDemon? IMHO Much better than an outright integration, because that way you can still manage your FPL via the Telegram-interface.

drnicolas
drnicolas
Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)
tschnell - 2/9/2018 10:26:32 PM
‌‌‌

At least on some of the airports, SIDs and STARs are already georeferenced. But honestly, the added value of that is rather limited in practical flying: The SIDs should rather be presented in the basemap by adding the procedure waypoints and connecting the relevant ones from the FPL data. As for STARs: When was the last time you had to fly one?

‌‌‌

You are aware that you can already import an‌ Autorouter-generated flightplan into SkyDemon? IMHO Much better than an outright integration, because that way you can still manage your FPL via the Telegram-interface.

To be honest: I cannot remember flying the complete STAR/SID. Therfore it is enough to present the whole plate in fullscreen mode.
Then please add the same feature when in panning mode: a yellow arrow shows that your aircraft is somewhere out-of-sight and also shows the direction. Shoudl be combined with a quick toggle button to swap between main map and approach plate.

‌‌

drnicolas
drnicolas
tschnell - 2/9/2018 10:26:32 PM
‌‌‌

‌‌‌

To be honest: I cannot remember flying the complete STAR/SID. Therfore it is enough to present the whole plate in fullscreen mode.
Then please add the same feature when in panning mode: a yellow arrow shows that your aircraft is somewhere out-of-sight and also shows the direction. Shoudl be combined with a quick toggle button to swap between main map and approach plate.

‌‌

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
We will likely be including procedure waypoints in the next version of SkyDemon and our next charts, but (for the time being at least) they will not be drawn on the chart (because there are too many of them) and we will not have them for all countries. They'll be searchable.

I mentioned before that our thinking is to display IFR charts fullscreen, that is because you really want the rest of the document to be visible such as the vertical guidance, notes and frequencies. But we probably would not allow track-up orientation of them, because if they're rotated that same information is not very easy to read. So, to instrument approach fliers who normally fly track-up: how important is track-up when displaying an instrument approach plate?
drnicolas
drnicolas
Tim Dawson - 2/12/2018 11:31:04 AM
We will likely be including procedure waypoints in the next version of SkyDemon and our next charts, but (for the time being at least) they will not be drawn on the chart (because there are too many of them) and we will not have them for all countries. They'll be searchable.

I mentioned before that our thinking is to display IFR charts fullscreen, that is because you really want the rest of the document to be visible such as the vertical guidance, notes and frequencies. But we probably would not allow track-up orientation of them, because if they're rotated that same information is not very easy to read. So, to instrument approach fliers who normally fly track-up: how important is track-up when displaying an instrument approach plate?

At the Moment (with only the "lateral" part  of the Approach visible in map), it Looks not bad with track-up.
You are right that this does not apply to the full Approach plate. So, the full-screen mode should not be track-up-capable‌.

In real life‌‌, most People have the Approach on the moving map as track-up. All the renowned GNS430/530 and succesors Show normally only the lateral part for the Approach - not the vertical Profile and not all the Information also on the plate.
I have no idea how it looks, if you have a modern GTN750 in your aircraft and spend much Money for a subscription of the Approach plates.
From my Point of view there is Need to have a quick and convenient way to choose the right Approach (including‌ plate) as full-screen  and an IAF out of a list as a direct-to and you have a great improvement in sitiuational awareness and added some of the mot important functions of a specialized GPS-device.
As I mentioned before, a toggle between full-screen/full-plate and map view (maybe exact as now with a partial plate shown)‌ would be great. - just my five Cents.

To be honest: SD no your mobile device cannot replace an IFR-certified GPS-device bolted to your panel so far. AFAIK you cannot sell your GPS even if you nail an iPad to your panel‌‌‌.
But you will find many (new?) customers with old-fashioned but certified GPS-devices who will be more than satisfied with an IFR-Addon for SD‌. Just think of how worthy an KLN89, KLN94 or GNC155 can be!

jfw
jfw
Wheal - 2/3/2018 8:36:03 PM
Hi many thanks to however added the ILS geo referenced approach plates to many more uk airfields. Even when we have access to a Garmin 430 or better the added situational awareness that Sky Demon gives is worth its weight in gold.!

It must be me but I do not see these plates. Should these be purchased ? Or activated in a way or another in settings ?
Thanks in advance.
‌‌‌‌
drnicolas
drnicolas
jfw - 2/12/2018 1:15:31 PM
Hi many thanks to however added the ILS geo referenced approach plates to many more uk airfields. Even when we have access to a Garmin 430 or better the added situational awareness that Sky Demon gives is worth its weight in gold.!

It must be me but I do not see these plates. Should these be purchased ? Or activated in a way or another in settings ?
Thanks in advance.
‌‌‌‌

Have you updated SD? You also Need to update your maps! and download the plates separately

jfw
jfw
drnicolas - 2/12/2018 1:18:59 PM
jfw - 2/12/2018 1:15:31 PM

Thanks in advance.
‌‌‌‌

Have you updated SD? You also Need to update your maps! and download the plates separately

All is up-to-date (charts installed 01 feb 2018). For downloading I do no see any reference to Instrument charts.
Eg for EGMC I have following geo plates: control zone & control area, aerodrome.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search