Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Vocal Audio Warnings/Alerts

Author
P
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Following on from my audio question in the Navigation section, is there any chance of having the vocal audio warnings, from the likes of Pilot Aware, 'piped' through Sky Demon or have Sky Demon generate the same in response to the traffic information?

I am lead to understand, at the moment, that traffic information is received via the Flarm protocol and is then re-broadcast by SD onto the screen. I further understand that an audio warning is generated, which basically draws your attention to the screen. This is all great stuff and will certainly help improve awareness of other traffic (we all know the limitations of the systems and that is not part of this discussion). However, to make a great system even better would be to enable more 'heads out', rather than 'heads in'. So, instead of a buzzer telling me to look at my screen and the inevitable delay while my human brain processes the visual information on the screen and resolves the area in which I should look, I believe it would be better to have a vocal 'warning' telling me the traffic is 3 o'clock, 4 miles, 100' above......or similar. No mucking around head down but looking straight to the place I'm told (just as I would with ATC giving me the same information).

‌I DO appreciate SD is not traffic awareness equipment but I'm certain this would be a very useful feature and would be even moreso since SD users would not have to separately connect their Pilot Aware etc to their aircraft audio systems to get vocal traffic information. Yes, I do realise this benefits traffic awareness users more than it benefits the navigation facilities of SD but as an integrated package it makes the system far more user-friendly AND it is future-proofing.  As more electronic conspicuity comes to the fore, SD will already be in a position to issue the vocal warnings. This helps the safety case AND means I can simply Bluetooth my headset to SD and not have to wire PAW into my aircraft systems (BIG smiley face) 🙂 
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)
We do intend to bring vocal annunciations into SkyDemon, which would include monitoring of all traffic in close proximity for sure.
PaulSS
P
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Well that is just excellent news and I certainly look forward to being a user of the improved facility BigGrin
Martin Bech
Martin Bech
Too Much Forum (9.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.7K reputation)
Tim, very interesting. Just imagine what could be vocal directly to the headset via bluetooth or cable. Great future ahead with SD.
PaulSS
P
SemperFi - 11/28/2017 4:27:55 AM
I somehow shudder thinking of another shoot the shit Affected Intelligence yaking. I prefer silence at latest when forced to concentrate in flight.This contemporary trend to continous pribble-prabble annoys me, but apparently I am a too old fart and still value brain activity.

There's a very good reason most aircraft manufacturers, both military and civilian, use voice warnings instead of purely visual. In the case of traffic it gets your head out of the cockpit and looking where you need to be, instead of valuing your brain activity and staring at the screen, while resolving where the traffic is in relation to you. The beauty of the SD audio will be that if you're in the circuit, for example, and have no other way of disabling constant warnings of other aircraft (like a switch on a PAW unit) then it will be a very simple matter of hitting the Bluetooth button on your headset et, voila, your annoyance of pribble-prabble is removed.

‌When I flew the Harrier, with the Semper Fi brigade, there were lives saved because of Bitching Betty and her "shoot the shit affected intelligence yaking' giving warning of a flap failure. I, too, am an old fart but am more than willing to embrace technology like this if it's going to help prevent people smacking into the ground or each other. However, I am sure there will be a simple on/off option, so you know how you can configure your SD if you need to concentrate in silence........that being relative in an aircraft, of course.

T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)
I prefer spoken warnings because they're the last worst of three alternatives. Silence is great, but you're then relying on your eyes to tell you something, and if they're pointing in the wrong direction, you won't see it. Starting at the instruments when your eyes should be outside the cockpit scanning for traffic is a bad choice in my opinion. 

A‌ buzzer,‌ bell, klaxon or other irritating noise is just that - irritating. How many planes have landed wheels-up because the pilot couldn't work out what that loud blaring horn was trying to tell him.

Bitch‌ing Betty, Moaning Mertle, Nagging Nora and their friends get the detail of the message straight into three pilot's brain with no action required on the part of the pilot.

The‌ comment about excessive traffic alerting in the circuit is worth exploring. SkyDemon already knows the wind direction and where the circuit is at most airfields, so it could automatically switch to a less sensitive, less chatty set of traffic alerts when in or near the circuit, maybe even changing the language to "traffic joining on long final", "traffic mid point downwind" and so on, whilst ignoring proximate traffic that isn't a risk much like FLARM ignores traffic which isn't on a collision course in a thermal.
marioair
m
Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.5K reputation)
Is there any update on the audio integration> it'll save so much hassle messing with yet another set of cables or bluetooth dongles. 
PaulSS
P
Another request for any update on the progress of this improvement. I've just read the new manual but there doesn't appear to be any change on vocal audio.

Martin Bech
Martin Bech
Too Much Forum (9.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.7K reputation)
I fully support vocal but I believe that implementing vocal and making it a great SD solution demands a lot from the developers. I will wait for another great solution from SD......a few month more. Hope it will be ready before high season.
PaulSS
P
a great SD solution demands a lot from the developers

‌Certainly for a dimbo like me, this would be almost impossible but you know how clever these SD people are :-)  

‌SD already has audio and it's obviously receiving the traffic data from PAW etc. I wonder whether it also receives the vocal audio from the same and it's a 'simple' matter of re-broadcasting or whether SD has to produce its own vocal audio based on the traffic data? Clearly re-broadcasting would be a lot less hassle than writing code to issue vocal warnings based on such-and-such criteria, so I hope the audio data is already 'attached' to the traffic data.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search