Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Traffic Audio Warnings

Author
P
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have tried to search the forum, have emailed SD (no reply) and tried to confirm by telephone (a bit non-committal and very much lacking any detail at all) but I still am not confident that SD does what I think it does regarding audio warnings for traffic alerts from Pilot Aware (PAW) and just wanted to know if anyone has any personal experience of my setup ideas. 

‌In the past I know the only way to get traffic audio from Pilot Aware was to make use of the 3.5mm jack and route this data to an intercom, radio, Bluetooth transmitter etc. However, just recently I was reading the SD manual and it talks of audio traffic warnings. The traffic position has been transmitted to SD from PAW via the Flarm protocol and I'm pretty happy with that side of things. However, are the traffic audio alerts generated by SD or is SD re-broadcasting the same warnings from PAW?

‌What I'm really trying to do is see if my proposed setup will work and I'd appreciate any thoughts on the matter. I would have SD on an iPad Mini and this would connect to PAW via the 'normal' WIFI connection. Connected via Bluetooth to the iPad Mini would be a David Clark DC One X headset. Now, what I would really like to know is if SD will produce traffic audio alerts (from the data provided by PAW), as well as airspace alerts etc AND whether these audio alerts will be 'heard' over the headset connected by Bluetooth.

‌I'm pretty certain this is the case but I want to make doubly sure before I go spending nearly $2000 on a couple of headsets and then find I can't connect to SD audio via Bluetooth.

‌Thank you for your experiences and thoughts on whether this will all work as I think it might.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
It sounds like your question is really a PilotAware question. It generates audio vocal warnings, and if you want to hear them, you'll need to connect something to it.

SkyDemon does not currently generate vocal warnings for anything, but‌‌ it does show warnings of various things including forthcoming conflict with other traffic. These are accompanied by a loud unpleasant noise, not somebody speaking.
PaulSS
P
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Thanks for the reply Tim and for confirming the type of audio warnings for traffic. I got a bit too excited when I read the SD manual and saw the 'audio warning' phrase and thought that it might be giving the type found with PAW. I have been informed that Easy VFR will do what I thought SD might do but that does not alter the fact that I will still be using SD. I do realise that PAW can be connected via their 3.5mm jack to various elements of the aircraft audio system but was just hoping the warnings from SD would be of the voice type and would mean a lot easier set up between SD and my headset via Bluetooth. Maybe I'll visit the suggested development section :-)

‌‌
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Vocal annunciations is something we do plan to implement in SkyDemon.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search