Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Feature Request: Implement Take-off / landing distance calculating into flight planning

Author
Daniel Sinn
Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
A very outstanding new feature would be to integrate the calculating of the Take-off and landing distance into the flight planning with the aircraft selected (based on weight and balance and so on) and the airport data from the departure and arrival aerodrome. (as the app iduna fly does)
Daniel Sinn
Daniel Sinn
Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)
SemperFi - 11/12/2017 11:13:24 AM
This was discussed several times in the community, but given all the different varieties in the POHs on how to calculate, plus the data basis as not being calculated but flown, it was always denied as inappropriate. I think that statement will hold until we all fly the same aircraft.

But from this point of view, other apps (for example IdunaFly) could not exist. But they do - even for many planes. I would also agree to make this feature with an little extra-charge per aircraft data. 
So long i will be using IdunaFly besides SkyDemon, but they overlap in some features (so the W&B plus fuel calculation in SkyDemon is also done by IdunaFly). 

ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
There way too many variables in calculating take-off and landing distance which require the pilot to use his own judgement: wind, grass/asphalt, rough/even, wet/dry, sloping, etc. Given the problems people have even when entering a simple weight and balance envelope it seems unlikely that the user could enter reliably correct information from handbook tables which are, depending on the aircraft, all in different formats. And in the end remains the ubiquitous liability question.

-- Chris.‌‌

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
This is a step too far for SkyDemon. Our product is used by a large number of people and it is rightly held to a very high standard. We do not think we can produce an "accurate" figure for required takeoff and landing distance given the extensive amount of user input required, so we do not even attempt it.
Daniel Sinn
Daniel Sinn
Tim Dawson - 11/13/2017 2:30:22 PM
This is a step too far for SkyDemon. Our product is used by a large number of people and it is rightly held to a very high standard. We do not think we can produce an "accurate" figure for required takeoff and landing distance given the extensive amount of user input required, so we do not even attempt it.

Hi Tim,

thanks for your clear answer ;-)

Greetings from Austria
Daniel‌‌‌‌‌
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
SemperFi - 11/13/2017 8:35:48 AM
ckurz7000 - 11/13/2017 8:18:26 AM
There way too many variables in calculating take-off and landing distance which require the pilot to use his own judgement: wind, grass/asphalt, rough/even, wet/dry, sloping, etc. Given the problems people have even when entering a simple weight and balance envelope it seems unlikely that the user could enter reliably correct information from handbook tables which are, depending on the aircraft, all in different formats. And in the end remains the ubiquitous liability question.

-- Chris.‌‌

Hello Chris,

‌I am all ears, but fear the next one is just right the corner and trying to say "because people are too utterly stupid to do the calculation, wouldn't it be nice to pull that brain burden from them" - just kiddin', but not completely. Pushbuttonflyers are a contemporary issue and have little to do with pilots, but they are emerging, no matter what we discuss.

‌My major point is - there isn't really a "calculation", there is empirical data of others listed in non-standard tables and there is interpolation of data between these listed values, combined, enriched and accounted for with personal guts feeling. And I agree, the bad experience with people struggling with putting in simple W&B data in Skydemon shows many don't know what they are doing. Overautomation cannot be the way to go.

Yes, I know what you mean by "pushbutton flyers". A pilot I know well, a former airline pilot even, was unable to navigate to his home airfield from 20 miles out once the GPS batteries went belly up. He was on "flight director" mode, faithfully following the magenta line. Where are the days when flying was treated as a sport and navigation was still a valuable skill? I hear day VFR pilots ask for autopilot functionality! If they don't want to pilot the aircraft anymore, why not stay on the ground?

Sorry‌, I must be getting on in age, I know.‌

-- Chris‌ (who loves flying and navigating).

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search