Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Phantom danger area

Author
Flyngfemme
Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I was flying along quite happily on the 22nd September when this huge danger area suddenly popped up right on my nose.....there was no name to it and London Info had no clue what it was. Then it disappeared. Then it reappeared....
Had just updated‌ my app that morning. Any idea what was going on and has it been addressed? Would have emailed tech support but no facility for pictures.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
It wasn't a danger area, it was Danger Area Information. That's a NOTAM. Clicking the big blue question mark would have revealed its text and limits etc. If it happens again, please do so and let us know if any information is lacking.
Flyngfemme
Flyngfemme
Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)Too Much Forum (453 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 10/4/2017 2:39:53 PM
It wasn't a danger area, it was Danger Area Information. That's a NOTAM. Clicking the big blue question mark would have revealed its text and limits etc. If it happens again, please do so and let us know if any information is lacking.

There was text but it din't make sense.  We called up Aberporth, since they were mentioned in the text, and they had no clue why there was an area with a 50nm limit.
Now I have searched the notams‌ it makes sense. But it was quite worrying in the way it was presented and the constant appearing/disappearing.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Have you located the NOTAM, and is it still there? If you could help us identify it, we could look into the presentation by attempting to reproduce what you saw.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Actually I think I've just managed to reproduce it. Was this the NOTAM text that you saw? If so, there isn't really much we can do about it. All SkyDemon knows is that there's a NOTAM (quite a large one) containing "danger area information" and therefore we warn you when you're approaching its limits. If you think we should suppress the warning, I'd be interested to hear on what grounds. Unfortunately the NOTAM system really isn't geared towards fine-grained machine inspection of what a NOTAM is actually about.

‌‌
Flyngfemme
Flyngfemme
Tim Dawson - 10/5/2017 9:36:13 AM
Have you located the NOTAM, and is it still there? If you could help us identify it, we could look into the presentation by attempting to reproduce what you saw.

Yes - that looks like it.
The NOTAM was in the list I checked preflight but we weren't actually going anywhere near those areas listed so I discounted it.
It was the sudden popup when we were about a minute from the circle that got my attention. I thought I had missed something in the NOTAM and there was a new danger area. We spoke to London Information and Aberporth and neither had a clue what we were talking about.....surely, if there was a new procedure, they should have/would have known?
Probably nothing different you could do - it is a very bad presentation of the NOTAM. The cicle doesn't actually correspond to the location of the listed danger areas!

ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)
Yes, the circle is a bad approximation. But the Notam system doesn't allow for sensible coordinates that are machine readable in a consistent way. Therefore there really is nothing SD can do. It is a weakness of a rather outdated system.

-- Chris.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Possibly also slight laziness on the parts of the people publishing the NOTAM.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search