Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Terrain safe in planning mode

Author
f
Too Much Forum (860 reputation)Too Much Forum (860 reputation)Too Much Forum (860 reputation)Too Much Forum (860 reputation)Too Much Forum (860 reputation)Too Much Forum (860 reputation)Too Much Forum (860 reputation)Too Much Forum (860 reputation)Too Much Forum (860 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
would be cool to have that also in planning mode (then compared to the altitudes I have planned on the legs), since it helps a lot to plan my way through valleys when mountain flying (right now I always have to use the flight or sim mode)
KevWal
KevWal
Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.3K reputation)
Totally agree Fl8planner, I have asked Sky Demon for it a couple of times.  Just a look at the 2 images below shows how useful it can be.

This was an actual situation, when on a low cloud day we wanted to get in to Gap Tallard.  Without switching in and out of Flying mode to get the Terrain Safe display, we would not have found the route we did.

‌‌
Parkerjohn
Parkerjohn
Too Much Forum (221 reputation)Too Much Forum (221 reputation)Too Much Forum (221 reputation)Too Much Forum (221 reputation)Too Much Forum (221 reputation)Too Much Forum (221 reputation)Too Much Forum (221 reputation)Too Much Forum (221 reputation)Too Much Forum (221 reputation)
KevWal - 1/29/2018 12:23:26 PM
Totally agree Fl8planner, I have asked Sky Demon for it a couple of times.  Just a look at the 2 images below shows how useful it can be.

This was an actual situation, when on a low cloud day we wanted to get in to Gap Tallard.  Without switching in and out of Flying mode to get the Terrain Safe display, we would not have found the route we did.

‌‌

Agree. Totally needed this please. I like Kev and have to switch back and forth to find an optimum route.

Gerhard66
G
Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)
Great idea, but I cannot imagine an algorithm that can handle a complete route when planning legs with different altitudes.

Proposal: tapping on a leg in planning mode switches to terrain safe display. Planned altitude for that leg is the reference altitude for the terrain safe display.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)
I think the only way we could do this would be to not try and be that clever. We'd have a manual option under the Mapping -> Terrain window which allowed you to put in one altitude, and the TerrainSafe would then activate for that altitude.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search