Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Automatic Logbook

Author
s
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
jfw - 9/5/2017 6:28:53 AM
Hello,

Regarding the logging of the blocktime, I just manually start the logging of SD when starting the motor and stop it manually when stopping the motor.
SD has thus all the info as it detects the take-off and landing and records it separately....
Not sure how you want to detect the blocktime either.

Hope this helps.

Br,
J‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌

Blocktime is not equal to engine-time. It is the time from your first movement with own power to the last own powered stop. That is easily trackable by movement on the GPS-Sensor and exactly what SD does already. They only do that for the time being to track flighttime, where they most probably use a specified groundspeed as tracking-trigger.
I know my wish resembles a luxury-problem. I wear a watch, i have two clocks in my cockpit and so on... But it is a really handy feature to have everyting together without having to think about that when starting to taxi...
Best regards
Chris

ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
I understand where you are coming from, Chris.But isn't it possible to start logging by simply pressing the "Go Flying" button? That would correspond to Off Block. Tapping "Stop Flying" would be On Block again. And the take-off and landing events are detected autmatically by SD anyway.

Det‌ecting Off- and ON-Block automatically can lead to problems win some situation such as when one taxis to the fuel station.

Greetings, -- Chris.‌‌

spaltchr
s
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
ckurz7000 - 9/5/2017 7:41:08 AM
I understand where you are coming from, Chris.But isn't it possible to start logging by simply pressing the "Go Flying" button? That would correspond to Off Block. Tapping "Stop Flying" would be On Block again. And the take-off and landing events are detected autmatically by SD anyway.

Det‌ecting Off- and ON-Block automatically can lead to problems win some situation such as when one taxis to the fuel station.

Greetings, -- Chris.‌‌

I'm ‌stubborn, I know :-)
For the short taxi to the fuel station I don't have my iPad on... So that short phase would nod be mixed up with blocktime.

Do you press the go flying button the moment you start taxiing? I press that button when I'm preparing for the actual flight in the cockpit well before taxi. This would result in a blocktime which is too long... And my goal would be an automatic detection without any buttons to press. Because if I need to press a button i could have a quick look on my watch as well and write that time on my kneeboard...

I'm repeating myself: It is actually possible to integrate such a feature. Other apps (Jeppesen Flight Deck VFR and others) did that. But I don't want these apps anymore for several reasons and I would love to see SD getting more and more a complete solution for a VFR pilot.
Best regards
Chris

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)
We don't integrate features just because other software does, we integrate them because lots of our users will find them valuable. I recognise the value of a block-time feature but I also know that doing it automatically will not work in a foolproof way. Just because other apps are showing you something doesn't mean it's right.

SkyDemon can log block time if you start logging when you start moving and stop logging when you stop moving. The flight time will be logged automatically as a subset of that.

I can't see us complicating the product by adding a flawed block time logging function unless a large number of people wanted it and a much better algorithm than "am I moving" was decided upon. ‌‌ ‌‌
spaltchr
s
Ok, I see... At least I tried to ask for it based on my experiences with almost every available product on the market. Thank you anyway. Maybe one day there will be enough (visible) demand for such a feature.
Best regards
Chris
jfw
jfw
Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.3K reputation)
spaltchr - 9/5/2017 6:37:58 AM
jfw - 9/5/2017 6:28:53 AM
Hello,

Regarding the logging of the blocktime, I just manually start the logging of SD when starting the motor and stop it manually when stopping the motor.
SD has thus all the info as it detects the take-off and landing and records it separately....
Not sure how you want to detect the blocktime either.

Hope this helps.

Br,
J‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌

Blocktime is not equal to engine-time. It is the time from your first movement with own power to the last own powered stop. That is easily trackable by movement on the GPS-Sensor and exactly what SD does already. They only do that for the time being to track flighttime, where they most probably use a specified groundspeed as tracking-trigger.
I know my wish resembles a luxury-problem. I wear a watch, i have two clocks in my cockpit and so on... But it is a really handy feature to have everyting together without having to think about that when starting to taxi...
Best regards
Chris

Well I agree I made shortcut assuming you would start moving once the moter is on and stop the motor once you stopped moving.. :-)
But you got my idea‌ :-)

spaltchr
s
I need to warmup my oil first ;-)
Best regards
Chris
alexis.hellen@gmail.com
alexis.hellen@gmail.com
Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.9K reputation)
I am also all for having an automatic block time on SD. This would allow people who monitor engine time to use the start / stop flying button for that, then block an take-off time would be automatic.
Further up, I asked if it would be possible to export all flight data in a ,CSV or similar format to input in a digital pilot logbook: is it at all possible yet? Or is this an option you have planned? And what about an integrated pilot logbook?
Cheers‌, Alexis.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)
We have the Log Summary feature which exports into an HTML table. Nothing more planned at this stage, and we don't currently plan to put a Pilot Logbook feature into SkyDemon.
DMOIN
DMOIN
Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)Too Much Forum (872 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 9/5/2017 11:02:27 AM

‌Sorry to say, but this is nonsens. If you are reading the GPS Signal you can detect speed by calculating the movement. I think we can agree that by using thresholds, it is quite simple to detect that the plane is movin on ground (below 40Mph and above 10mph, or flying over 50mph) What I read in you answers and sorry to be blunt but I got the same ignorant answer a while ago from you, is that you personally don't want it. The issue here is that you are not representing "the" Pilots using your software. If you would start a survey by asking you current users or potential ones, if they would like to have a editable automatic logbook aboard, I am sure >80% would appreciate this. I am still using ANP because this. I am lazy and do not want to manually calculate all my flight times, off block and onblock times. I have around 500 hours logged into ANP, so basically my full flying records. I several times controlled the automatic logged ones with my regular checkflights logged by my instructor and there wer in worst case 2 minutes discrepancy between ANP automatic logged times and manually logged time. So what you are saing is basically that your programmers tim is not capable to implement such a feature because they cannot use the GPS SDK's?? This would make me a bit afraid as these are essential for all calculated flight times of SD.....

‌Bottom line is, by all your innovative GUI setups. AS long you are delivering only a crippled logbook functionality I will stay with the crippled support of ANP...... Both software packages basically do fulfill my personal requirements but ANP is capable to have the "bonus" of a fully functional logbook with editable records so that, even a automatic logging failed, I can edit the times and correct them....

‌A bit more customer orientation in this case would suit SD, Warm regards, Andreas

We don't integrate features just because other software does, we integrate them because lots of our users will find them valuable. I recognise the value of a block-time feature but I also know that doing it automatically will not work in a foolproof way. Just because other apps are showing you something doesn't mean it's right.

SkyDemon can log block time if you start logging when you start moving and stop logging when you stop moving. The flight time will be logged automatically as a subset of that.

I can't see us complicating the product by adding a flawed block time logging function unless a large number of people wanted it and a much better algorithm than "am I moving" was decided upon. ‌‌ ‌‌

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search