Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Obstacle warnings

Author
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I fly in an area where there are many, many wind turbines. When I approach that particular arey I am warned of pretty much every single turbine individually. That quickly becomes very annoying. I have to acknowledge the warning more than 50 times (I stopped counting at 50) in the space of less than 10 minutes. The mentioned area is located near (N 47.99 E 16.90).

‌‌‌I wonder if there ought not to be some kind of limit to the number of warnings if individual obstacles are very near eacah other.

-- Chris.‌‌

Gerhard66
G
Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)
Hi Chris,
maybe it helps to switch off "Warn about Obstructions" in the Navigation Options.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
I can't think of a way we could display fewer warning without running the risk of not warning about the obstacle that is going to kill somebody one day. Happy to listen to suggestions as always.
Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
May be too much work but what about "joining up the dots" (location of each individual turbine) to create a cluster of turbines. Each cluster becomes the single entity that SD will warn about.
Tony‌
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)
There's got to be a better way than acknowledging each single turbine and thereby having to hit OK 50 times over the space of a couple of minutes.

Maybe after the  first warning  you‌‌ are given the option of "Acknowledge group or individual obstacle"?
Or maybe the first warning reads‌ "Multiple obsta‌cles in vicinity. Warn individually yes/no"?

You could  define a minimum‌ distance, say 0.5nm, and define the "obstacle group" as that area which containes obstacles with a spacing less than the minimum. Such a group would be highlighted as a group and acknowledged as a group.

Any other  ideas?‌

-- Chris.‌‌‌

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Are you getting so many warnings because you are actually flying extremely close to a lot of obstacles? You already gave me the area but perhaps you could give me a typical height you'll be flying at, so I can look at our warning code and make sure it's working properly?
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Tim Dawson - 7/26/2017 2:54:59 PM
Are you getting so many warnings because you are actually flying extremely close to a lot of obstacles? You already gave me the area but perhaps you could give me a typical height you'll be flying at, so I can look at our warning code and make sure it's working properly?

I fly a gyrocopter and usually at a height of about 1500' AGL. I don't think there is anything wrong with the code which determines when to warn me of any single obstacle. It is just that when there are a whole bunch of them, that it becomes very annoying. It won't drive me away from SD, mind you, but it seems to be an area where a bit more smarts in the code wouldn't hurt. These incessant warnings can be very distracting and it is cumbersome having to acknowledge numerous superfluous warnings.

Gree‌tings, -- Chris.‌

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Would it be so bad to reduce the safety margin in flight, if flying (for example) 800 feet above the tops of the obstacles is normal for you?
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Tim Dawson - 7/31/2017 11:30:17 AM
Would it be so bad to reduce the safety margin in flight, if flying (for example) 800 feet above the tops of the obstacles is normal for you?

Yes, I could do that. It does seem a bit like a bandaid fix but it would get the job done.

-- Chris.‌‌

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
If you're routinely flying that close to obstacles and don't want to be bombarded with warnings about them, it seems like a perfect fix to me. Anything else would introduce the risk (for someone else) that SkyDemon would omit to warn them about a second obstacle, which they hadn't seen.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search