Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Modified MSA Calculation

Author
JanR
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

this post is related to the topic Different MSA.

I‌t can happen that obstacles are not taken into account for the calculation of the MSA, depending on how the turn is entered. Additionally, there is a chance that the MSA for reverse track differs from the MSA of the inbound track.‌‌‌

I‌ propose to introduce a "Transition Zone" (Orange Circle). All obstacles in this zone will be taken into account for the calculation of BOTH tracks. Please have a look at the attached pictures,

A‌ssumed As-is:‌

‌Suggestion:

W‌hat do you think?

B‌est Regards
J‌an‌‌‌
lhe
lhe
Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)
I second that! And not only that -- I would also want obstacles to be considered in a semicircle before the beginning of the route and beyond the end of the route. 

‌I want to this both from a strictly safety point of view and from a regulatory point of view. When you fly VFR in darkness you are required (in the en-route phase) to have a minimum altitude of 1000 feet above the highest obstacle within 8 km from the aircraft's estimated position. There is no exception for the start or end points of the route nor for the outside of a turn. Similarly, if I fly in mountainous terrain, I will want a safety margin I can rely on in all directions.

‌As it is, I don't really trust SkyDemon's MSA calculation, both because of known limitations and because I don't really understand exactly how it works. Considering obstacles at both sides of each leg and within semicircles at both ends of each leg would both satisfy regulatory requirements and be very easy to explain.

‌I seem to recall from a discussion some years ago that Tim said checking for obstacles within (semi)circles were computationally difficult. If that is still the case, I would be happy if SkyDemon simply used half-squares before and after each leg. Since a half-square is larger than a semicircle some obstacles could be considered that shouldn't be, but the area would really be larger only by a small amount and it is better to err on the side of caution.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
I'm pretty sure we already include semicircles at the beginning and the end of the journey, and we also detect obstacles in the turn. It's just that we do not necessarily apply the in-turn obstacles to the MSA of both the leg ending there and the leg starting there.
lhe
lhe
Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 7/5/2017 10:28:29 AM
I'm pretty sure we already include semicircles at the beginning and the end of the journey, and we also detect obstacles in the turn. It's just that we do not necessarily apply the in-turn obstacles to the MSA of both the leg ending there and the leg starting there.

It appears SD does consider obstacles after the final leg, but not before the first leg. Also, if a turn is more than 90°, obstacles on the outside of the turn don't seem to be considered at all -- either in the leg before or after the turn no matter how close to the track. So your track could pass 1 metre to the side of an obstacle that wouldn't have been taken into account when computing the MSA. 

(‌Tested with SkyDemon 3.8.1.0 on a PC.)
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
I want to get 3.8.2 shipped but as soon as we do, we will come back to this issue and review the code.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search