Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Is an EFIS system in the pipeline?

Author
Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I was wondering whether SD plan to add any further instruments to the system such as an circular altimeter, VSI, slip ball etc?  Are ipads capable of providing sufficient data to allow these features?

I‌t would be nice to be able drag out some of these instruments if desired.

G‌ary‌‌
tschnell
tschnell
Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.6K reputation)
Why would anybody need this? Please keep SD a serious piece of navigation software and refrain from adding pure eye candy, making the software more complex, failure-prone and overloaded.

Just my humble opinion...
4535jacks
Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)
tschnell - 3/22/2017 4:58:10 PM
Why would anybody need this? Please keep SD a serious piece of navigation software and refrain from adding pure eye candy, making the software more complex, failure-prone and overloaded.

How about if you fly a very simple aircraft with no VSI or you fly a piper cub where the instruments are often obscured by the passenger in front of you?  Having the ability to quickly drag out some instruments on the SD which is clear and mounted directly in front of you would provide you with a useful way of checking that I you not in an unintentional cruise decent or climb.

T‌hat said since for me, a virtual VSI would be the most valuable feature, i would be happy for this to be in the form of a numerical readout on the left of the screen below the Altitiude and Speed etc.‌  I am considering investing in a Dynon D2 to overcome this but then thought that surely an ipad has the required measuring equipment and computer power to provide a similar function rather than forking out £1100 for a bespoke unit.

Edited 3/22/2017 5:12:59 PM by 4535jacks
T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)
4535jacks - 3/22/2017 5:12:59 PM
tschnell - 3/22/2017 4:58:10 PM

How about if you fly a very simple aircraft with no VSI or you fly a piper cub where the instruments are often obscured by the passenger in front of you?  Having the ability to quickly drag out some instruments on the SD which is clear and mounted directly in front of you would provide you with a useful way of checking that I you not in an unintentional cruise decent or climb.

T‌hat said since for me, a virtual VSI would be the most valuable feature, i would be happy for this to be in the form of a numerical readout on the left of the screen below the Altitiude and Speed etc.‌  I am considering investing in a Dynon D2 to overcome this but then thought that surely an ipad has the required measuring equipment and computer power to provide a similar function rather than forking out £1100 for a bespoke unit.

There are apps for Android which simulate an EFIS already - I guess similar apps are available for iOS. I would prefer that these features were kept separate rather than complicate SkyDemon.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
All such apps are making it up. They are simulating real instruments using purely GPS data, which is dangerously misleading, in my opinion.

We will be doing no such thing in SkyDemon. As a planning and navigation app, flight instruments are beyond our scope anyway - even if we had good data to work with.
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
Primary flight data (such as VSI, attitude, etc.) derived from sensor internal to a smartphone or tablet are dangerous. They are inaccurate and prone to fail. They simply aren't designed to be used in a critical situation where accuracy and dependability are important.

I would also prefer  if SD‌‌ stuck to what it does best: provide navigational guidance.

-- Chris.‌‌

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search