Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Flight Planning - Land-away approach planning

Author
R
Too Much Forum (934 reputation)Too Much Forum (934 reputation)Too Much Forum (934 reputation)Too Much Forum (934 reputation)Too Much Forum (934 reputation)Too Much Forum (934 reputation)Too Much Forum (934 reputation)Too Much Forum (934 reputation)Too Much Forum (934 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I fly an Ikarus C42 mostly to carry out short local land aways ( less than 1 hour) from Gloucestershire airport. I try and carry out as much planning as I can pre-flight and always call the airport ahead of departure to get all the information I can. This means that before I set off I already have in my head my approach pattern and active runway and circuit direction etc - in fact I nearly always do a standard overhead join as I enjoy this part of the flight. I think it would be helpful in SD to enter my approach details for the land-away before I commence my flight - eg Standard overhead join/ Runway 26/ Right hand so that as I approach the filed all the approach diagrams automatically appear in SD. My understanding is that currently I have to set this up in flight as I approach - which for me is a busy time and not so easy in a C42 where I need to have my right hand on the stick for safe flight. As I say most of my flights are less than 1 hr and it is rare for the runway or circuit direction to change in flight - eg Kemble has one runway 26/08 and is about 10 mins flight time meaning a runway change is highly unlikely. Obviopusly the ability to still enter approach details in case of change would still be required in SD. Am I correct in my current understanding of SD? And does this pre flight planning make sense for SD users?

(‌Currently running latest Android SD app on Lenovo tablet).‌
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
You're certainly correct in your understanding of how it currently works. I think you're able to nominate your approach 20 minutes away from your destination, though, so you ought to have plenty of time.

I would say it is suffi‌‌ciently rare for somebody to know exactly how they're going to make their approach and to what runway, at the planning stage, that it's unlikely we would implement such a feature. As always I stand ready to be corrected though.
Thad
T
Too Much Forum (259 reputation)Too Much Forum (259 reputation)Too Much Forum (259 reputation)Too Much Forum (259 reputation)Too Much Forum (259 reputation)Too Much Forum (259 reputation)Too Much Forum (259 reputation)Too Much Forum (259 reputation)Too Much Forum (259 reputation)
Sorry, perhaps a stupid question, but I am new to SD and cannot find this feature: is it possible to navigate within a circuit with standard AIP circuit charts? I mean the circuit chart shall be projected on the map in appropriate zoom level and the airplane shall be moving within the picture? This would allow me to track the circuit pattern with SD guidance. 
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
Thad - 6/8/2017 10:08:21 AM
Sorry, perhaps a stupid question, but I am new to SD and cannot find this feature: is it possible to navigate within a circuit with standard AIP circuit charts? I mean the circuit chart shall be projected on the map in appropriate zoom level and the airplane shall be moving within the picture? This would allow me to track the circuit pattern with SD guidance. 

You have to enable Approach Tools in Navigation Options. However, I suspect that this is NOT what you are looking for. Published circuit patterns for many airfields already appear in SD if you zoom in far enough. Sherburn-in-Elmet (EGCJ) is a good example. The circuit patterns start to appear at 250k scale. Zooming in to 50k should render the circuit patterns large enough for you to fly them with SD guidance.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Thad
T
Too Much Forum (259 reputation)Too Much Forum (259 reputation)Too Much Forum (259 reputation)Too Much Forum (259 reputation)Too Much Forum (259 reputation)Too Much Forum (259 reputation)Too Much Forum (259 reputation)Too Much Forum (259 reputation)Too Much Forum (259 reputation)
Sky Painter - 6/8/2017 12:17:48 PM
Thad - 6/8/2017 10:08:21 AM

You have to enable Approach Tools in Navigation Options. However, I suspect that this is NOT what you are looking for. Published circuit patterns for many airfields already appear in SD if you zoom in far enough. Sherburn-in-Elmet (EGCJ) is a good example. The circuit patterns start to appear at 250k scale. Zooming in to 50k should render the circuit patterns large enough for you to fly them with SD guidance.

Great, thank you. It is not exactly what I know from competitors but it looks good enough. 

T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)
It's worth a note to point out that being on the white line (as SD draws the circuit) is not an excuse for hitting another aircraft. Most mid-air collisions occur in or near the circuit, so it is essential that the pilot is looking outside of the aircraft for 95+% of the time. Even flying to a completely new airfield, I am unlikely to look at SD at all within 5nm of the airfield.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
The idea of someone sticking to the white line by staring at their GPS while flying the circuit is terrifying.

Please do not do this!‌‌

Our Airfield Explorer function allows you to "explore" the circuit of your airfield with reference to satellite imagery. Learn it, and there will be no need to stare at your GPS while flying so close to the airfield presumably with lots of other traffic around.‌
Thad
T
ok, my problem is the significant difference between the plate or a satellite picture showing the pattern in top-down projection and the perspective view at around 1000 feet above the ground. What I need in flight is visibility of markers. Some airfields do not have chimneys, sees, rivers, significant motorway points etc, then I am very happy to have a virtual marker in form of the white line in my iPad. In the meantime I am more familiar with SD and it delivers it great. And no worries - if there is a traffic no white line is necessary - the traffic makes the "line". 
‌I suppose you will not really see the problem as long as you not try approaches e.g. in Germany where the overhead join is considered a sort of cowboy approach. Joining the pattern from outside makes the pattern position not so obvious.
And by the way, you are obviously right, if someone keeps his nose in SD while flying, they should better stay home.... Smile
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search