Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Traffic Symbols

Author
schweboo
Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi

I‌ am using the latest version of SkyDemon on my IPAD mini 3 and have noticed that when I switch on "Other traffic" I can see more that one aircraft symbol (other than the one representing my aircraft). I used Pilot Aweare, which is feeding me traffic information. What do the different aircraft symbols mean and what are the criteria for dispalying one rather than the other? Some seem to be represtrnign gliders and others seem to represent "heavy" traffic. No screen shots sadly.

B‌est regards

C‌hris‌‌

T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)
schweboo - 2/27/2017 6:34:37 PM
Hi

I‌ am using the latest version of SkyDemon on my IPAD mini 3 and have noticed that when I switch on "Other traffic" I can see more that one aircraft symbol (other than the one representing my aircraft). I used Pilot Aweare, which is feeding me traffic information. What do the different aircraft symbols mean and what are the criteria for dispalying one rather than the other? Some seem to be represtrnign gliders and others seem to represent "heavy" traffic. No screen shots sadly.

B‌est regards

C‌hris‌‌

Exactly right. Each aircraft transmitting its position also transmits the type of aircraft. Tim and the SkyDemon team use this information to pick an appropriate icon, only getting it wrong when the transmitting aircraft is misconfigured.

schweboo
schweboo
Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)
What icons do you use? Is there a helicopter icon? I could find nothing in the SKyDemon documentation about these icons...
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)
We use icons that best represent the different airframe types out there. Yes, there is a helicopter icon.
schweboo
schweboo
Tim Dawson - 2/28/2017 11:32:22 AM
We use icons that best represent the different airframe types out there. Yes, there is a helicopter icon.

Many thanks. Will these icons eventually appear in the SkyDemon documentation?

K‌ind regards

C‌hris‌‌

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)SkyDemon Team (623K reputation)
I don't see why we would document all possible icons that can be shown for other aircraft types. It's the sort of thing we are likely to change and improve over time.
michaelbinary
michaelbinary
Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 3/1/2017 3:30:05 PM
I don't see why we would document all possible icons that can be shown for other aircraft types. It's the sort of thing we are likely to change and improve over time.

Why ?, because it makes sense that's why and stops people having to guess at what they are looking at.
Today I was flying over the channel and 5000 feet below was something !!!!, I eventually worked out it had to be a drone of some sort, and yes it was, but why make people guess duh !!!!

KimW
K
Too Much Forum (221 reputation)Too Much Forum (221 reputation)Too Much Forum (221 reputation)Too Much Forum (221 reputation)Too Much Forum (221 reputation)Too Much Forum (221 reputation)Too Much Forum (221 reputation)Too Much Forum (221 reputation)Too Much Forum (221 reputation)
michaelbinary - 12/11/2021 10:54:01 PM

Why ?, because it makes sense that's why and stops people having to guess at what they are looking at.
Today I was flying over the channel and 5000 feet below was something !!!!, I eventually worked out it had to be a drone of some sort, and yes it was, but why make people guess duh !!!!

I would like to support that definitions on depictions off traffic (or any other for that matter) should be available in a legend. For the same reasons icons used on a map should be defined or not used at all.

Adam Erchegyi
Adam Erchegyi
Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)Too Much Forum (421 reputation)
It's the sort of thing we are likely to change and improve over time.

so should the documentation

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search