Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Apple Watch

Author
macht_rebel
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Tim,

Have you considered to integrate the Apple Watch in future releases as a remote display and alert device?

Best,
Marc
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
There is not enough demand among our subscribers to make this worthwhile. It does not seem to be a particularly popular product.
macht_rebel
macht_rebel
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
I can agree to your remarks from both of you . I don't want so see a Skydemon clone on the Apple Watch, just mention if there is a chance to use the connection between iPad and Watch, to make use of the visualisation, vibration and sound capabilities. I could be a very lean piece of app. 
ikarus61
ikarus61
Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.4K reputation)
Tim, how do you detect SD users demand ? Personally I think there is interest aorund smartwatches in aviation (me too). Other app for aviation have a Watch app and I remember you Garmin is producing D2 watch (do you think they invested a lot of money for a non exisiting market?)
I have an Apple Watch and I have some aviation app on it. It makes sense.

Massimo Mangia

I-PPL
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Of course. Everybody with a smart watch thinks there is a demand.

We judge demand by looking at user requests spread across a variety of media (telephone, email and Facebook mainly) as well as this forum. ‌‌Our users are not shy about asking for stuff, so we always have a pretty good idea of what are the most-requested things.
wb8
wb8
Too Much Forum (170 reputation)Too Much Forum (170 reputation)Too Much Forum (170 reputation)Too Much Forum (170 reputation)Too Much Forum (170 reputation)Too Much Forum (170 reputation)Too Much Forum (170 reputation)Too Much Forum (170 reputation)Too Much Forum (170 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 3/6/2017 12:54:34 PM
Of course. Everybody with a smart watch thinks there is a demand.

We judge demand by looking at user requests spread across a variety of media (telephone, email and Facebook mainly) as well as this forum. ‌‌Our users are not shy about asking for stuff, so we always have a pretty good idea of what are the most-requested things.

I am currently thinking about buying a smart watch to give me additional information for pre-flight and in-flight operations.
To be honest, skydemon currently covers a lot if Informations on a single display and a smart watch would be a perfect place to read metar, or heading information and the use of vibration would be excellent for warnings.
In my case android-wear devices are my favourites, and I am trying to get one of these even if skydemon is not supporting it at the moment, some other apps will.

daerden
daerden
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
I was considering a Garmin D2 delta but that would have meant switching over to the Garmin Pilot app. I tried it, but think it is inferior to SD (at least for VFR flight), so no go. Also, that watch is mightily expensive.

Functionality that fits particularly well on a watch:

- timers (switch tanks)
- FLP plan filing and closure (preparation is better done on iPad beforehand, but I usually submit when I arrive at the airport)
- Time/Distance until next waypoint/arrival
- warnings/alerts (?): might be somewhat intrusive though
- next radio freq (I just love this feature in the profile view: you see which Freqs are coming up)

Smart watches are here to stay. Integration with SD would certainly be a plus. If I was CEO of SD, I would stop development on PC (to free resources), and start with Apple Watch.

Regardless: SD still reigns as it is.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search