Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Now, where in the sky was I at 1450?

Author
e
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am not technically minded so I will keep this simple. When I open a flight log (let's say on my PC) it gives the route and start and finish times. Is there any way of knowing where along the route I am at a given time? 

For example I‌ take the odd photo whilst aloft and have no GPS on my camera. I have shown to a friend the flight log in jpeg form, and have been asked "does the programme have any options to output the file in other formats? It may well have the data and just
isn't showing it to you. Anything like a GPX or KML should be usable with times." 

I‌ have been pointed towards a programme on which I could use such a GPX file. It is http://www.piclocata.com/PicLocata.html‌

I‌ note on another post ‌the comment "We add a whole bunch of file types when the user picks Share, from the native .flightplan file to HTML briefing output to a GPX file and others". This does not seem to apply to logs? 

A‌ny help here would be appreciated, but please keep it simple!

ericferret
e
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
SemperFi - 2/18/2017 12:31:25 PM
Assuming a mobile device (don't know the PC version, did you fly with a laptop? Thought it would be plan only).

‌Go to <Logs>, ‌select the Log in question, choose <Send by Email>, send the log to an email of your wish.
‌Open the email, you'll find the native .flightlog, a .gpx converted and the .kml file for GoogleEarth of your flight.
‌The .gpx contains all you ask for and the .kml contains 5 min. markers to get overview progress during flight.

‌Simple enough?
Brilliant, thanks, have now done this. 

I fly with a Tesco Hudl (tablet), but think I shall be working on a PC with the photos. 

C‌hris‌

P‌S I never cease to be amazed at ‌what can be achieved with Skydemon!

ericferret
e
ericferret - 2/18/2017 12:57:23 PM
SemperFi - 2/18/2017 12:31:25 PM
Assuming a mobile device (don't know the PC version, did you fly with a laptop? Thought it would be plan only).

‌Go to <Logs>, ‌select the Log in question, choose <Send by Email>, send the log to an email of your wish.
‌Open the email, you'll find the native .flightlog, a .gpx converted and the .kml file for GoogleEarth of your flight.
‌The .gpx contains all you ask for and the .kml contains 5 min. markers to get overview progress during flight.

‌Simple enough?
Brilliant, thanks, have now done this. 

I fly with a Tesco Hudl (tablet), but think I shall be working on a PC with the photos. 

C‌hris‌

P‌S I never cease to be amazed at ‌what can be achieved with Skydemon!

Just noticed the "send by email" for the flightlogs is not present on PC version?

C‌hris‌

ericferret
e
SemperFi - 2/20/2017 9:30:56 AM
Chris, to be friendly, how about getting acquainted with the software and RTFM?

‌In Skydemon PC Plan you don't need to send an email to get the converted flight logs.
‌Simply select from menu Analysis, Open Flightlog, Export, choose GPX or Google Earth.

I did try EXPORT but it gave me only the .gpx file, not the others. There was no Google Earth option. HOWEVER I am having problems with Google Earth which may explain that. It is an old computer and running XP. It says that Direct X mode is not supported. I have downloaded the latest version of Direct X but the same message and suggestiion to open in Open GL. When I try that it says the graphics card will not support it. So it looks like I'll have to live with this and use the Hudl or phone for this. Thanks anyway. I DO try!

ericferret
e
SemperFi - 2/20/2017 10:16:39 AM
Did you recognize that the file type in Export is a drop down list, appears when you click on GPX?

Yes, it's the .gpx file. I was trying to get the.kml file to send to someone to drag onto Google Earth My Maps, as I otherwise I understand you have to convert .gpx to .kml

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
You can answer your original question without leaving SkyDemon. When your log is open you can grab the little white aircraft in virtual radar and drag it forward and backward through the log. As you do this you'll see the time and various other stats displayed next to it, and the aircraft will appear in the main map too. Thus you can establish exactly where you were at a particular time, if you like.

ericferret
e
Tim Dawson - 2/20/2017 10:38:02 AM
You can answer your original question without leaving SkyDemon. When your log is open you can grab the little white aircraft in virtual radar and drag it forward and backward through the log. As you do this you'll see the time and various other stats displayed next to it, and the aircraft will appear in the main map too. Thus you can establish exactly where you were at a particular time, if you like.

That certainly helps, I didn't know you could do that. Thanks.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search