Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

iOS10 bluetooth issues

Author
Terence Scotcher
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I understand Tim has closed the previous thread on this topic, but it would be good to have an opportunity for people to post developments e.g:
- ‌‌Apple produce an iOS update (in their own time of course)
- Garmin produce a fix for the GLOW GPS device
Terry

Terence Scotcher
Terence Scotcher
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
Terry - 11/16/2016 12:25:13 PM
I understand Tim has closed the previous thread on this topic, but it would be good to have an opportunity for people to post developments e.g:
- ‌‌Apple produce an iOS update (in their own time of course)
- Garmin produce a fix for the GLOW GPS device
Terry

Flew a couple of 1 hour legs yesterday, no disconnection issues.
I have a Garmin GLO at revision v2.8 and iOS v10.1.1
Terry‌‌‌
Chequeredflag
C
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Same here. I have not tried it in the air yet, but in several car journeys totalling some 4 hours, it has behaved impeccably using Garmin Glo (2.80) and iPad4 (10.1.1). This is exactly the same set up that was causing me major problems until recently. I have not touched it, but it now seems to have corrected itself. Did someone once say iPads sometime take a while to "settle down" after an IOS upgrade? Still waiting for 10.2 to arrive on general issue.
Chequeredflag
C
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
PS, thanks Tim for allowing this new thread, and my apologies unwarranted earlier criticism of SkyDemon.

Terence Scotcher
Terence Scotcher
Hmm, spoke too soon, I'm getting disconnects every time now, after around 10 - 20 mins use.
I‌t's fixed temporarily by turning Bluetooth off and on again on the iPad, and re-connecting with the Garmin.
It then works for another 10 - 20 mins.
A‌nyone else found a solution to this yet, or heard any promising news?

T‌erry‌
Ian
I
Too Much Forum (2.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.8K reputation)
Also using Garmin Glo and iOS10.1.1 with iPad Mini 2.
Flew last Friday and it lost connection 3 times during a one hour flight.
One disconnection on the return one hour flight.
Have found that the quickest way to deal with it is to turn the Glo off and on, then reconnect the iPad Bluetooth to it.

Had a lengthy discussion with Apple (both via on-line chat and on the phone). No further forward yet, but they are referring the problem to their engineering department and hope to get back to me this week.

They did suggest that the problem might lie with Garmin and that Garmin may need to update their firmware to suit iOS10. I believe this was the case when an earlier version of iOS came out (iOS8 I think) and Garmin then came up with a fix by updating firmware.

I've also been in touch with Garmin and so far their response has been that this is an Apple issue and it's up to them to resolve it. I have pointed out the above and asked whether it will happen this time. Awaiting an answer.

Garmin did hint that iOS10.2 might contain a fix. Have also seen other comments on the Flyer Forum that this migjht work. iOS10.2 is currently available in Beta format only. I believe its full release is due some time in December. Trouble is, because the problem is so random, it's difficult to say whether or not it really fixes the fault. I'm tempted to try the Beta version.
Terence Scotcher
Terence Scotcher
Today I went flying for a couple of hours, but I used my old GNS1000 GPS receiver (instead of my Garmin GLO).
It worked perfectly, totally reliable connection, so I'll use the GNS1000 from now on.
I‌ don't know what this means in terms of where the problem lies, it rather points to the Garmin, but the Garmin had worked reliably before iOS10.

T‌erry
Ian
I
Too Much Forum (2.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.8K reputation)
Had a further reply from Garmin, again denying all responsibility.
I did point out that they are still sellng the Glo with no mention that it is unreliable with current Apple products, but got no comment on that.
They again say that iOS10.2 should soon be released.
I'm tempted to try the Beta version, even though I have to say that I've read nothing about Bluetooth problems and correction thereof, in relation to this update.
Ian
I
Just installed iOS 10.2 Beta version 4.
Planning to fly tommorow, so wll report back after that.
Ian
I
Update: Flew today for about 2.5 hours.
iPad disconnected from Garmin Glo once, but only for about 15 seconds, then re-connected by itself, without any action required from me.
In fairness, it did this a couple of times before iOS10 came along and I put it down to a brief loss of GPS signal.
So, maybe iOS10.2 has cured the problems......?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search