Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

current GPS position in flight

Author
derWessi
Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Skydemon Team,

I wonder if there is any possibility to get my current GPS position while in navigation mode? So far I could not find this feature in SD.
I think this would be very helpfull for comunication with FIS e.g. in case of an emergency. In my opinion a good place for this could be the "dirct to" menu. What do you think?

Best Regards and keep up the good work,
Andreas

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
There is a constantly updating position report at the top of the screen in navigation mode, which you can change to track a waypoint of your choice if you wish.

Mike
, SD 3.16.13.0

George Reid
George Reid
Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)
You can also touch the screen beside the aircraft symbol.  A window will open and the GPS position (Lat, Long) will be displayed.

George E A Reid

Ipad Mini 5,  IOS 14.4,  SD 3.15.0.288
PC(Win 10, Version 19041.804)  SD 3.15.0.0

derWessi
derWessi
Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)
There is a constantly updating position report at the top of the screen in navigation mode, which you can change to track a waypoint of your choice if you wish
This might work but I think it is not that accurate compared to a GPS position and it requires the controller to know the position of the refereed location. And if I fly in the Czech Republic or in Poland I might even not be able to pronounce the name of the location ;-)

You can also touch the screen beside the aircraft symbol.  A window will open and the GPS position (Lat, Long) will be displayed.         

Good point. This seems to be a good work around although I would prefer a solution where I don't have to do a precise touch on a tiny aircraft symbol while sailing towards ground in an emergency situation...

Edited 4/20/2016 8:45:56 PM by derWessi
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Are you really going to read out a complete lat/long pair while sailing towards ground in an emergency situation?

While there is no direct lat/long readout on the SkyDemon screen, if while in flight mode you go to create a new waypoint, the default position shown in the waypoint editor will be your current position. That is one workaround.
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)Too Much Forum (50K reputation)
One reason I like the Track Waypoint function so much is that in the event of an emergency, I can just look at my SD screen and say to ATC – "... 15 miles south of XXX on the 198 radial" or words to that effect.

Mike
, SD 3.16.13.0

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search