Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Creating Private Airfield Data

Author
brinzlee
Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi 
I wonder if you can help me, I am trying to set up a private airstrip in the custom data of SkyDemon. Its two runways that I have copied the coordinates from google maps and pasted them into the runways editor under position for each end of the runway. I have also calculated the displacement threshold for each end but the ILS function is not working out very accurately . Does the ILS work from the calculated coordinates of the runway or the identifier. I need to do some tweaking but not sure which figures to adjust.
Kind regards
Brinsley

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
The ILS feature takes you to the threshold, so any displacement is irrelevant as (in SkyDemon) the displacement is the bit sticking out behind the threshold. The coordinates you have specified should be for the threshold.
brinzlee
brinzlee
Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)
Thanks for that Tim....taken on board about the threshold and displacement......so if the ILS tacking to the airfield is off by a  few degrees to the right when i'm tracking its centreline visually, would you assume  the coordinates I have got from google maps are slightly out ?
Edited 1/19/2016 2:13:33 PM by brinzlee
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
That would be my assumption without having any of the actual data to hand.
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
Why not take a GPS to the threshold and have it sit there for a couple of minutes. You should gete a pretty good average position which will match what your GPS in the plane is getting. Ditch Google Maps for that and do it in the real world.

-- Chris.

P.S.: I am sure there are apps available which let you average a position over time and display it on a map.

brinzlee
brinzlee
Good idea.....I'll give that a try !!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search