Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Mac OS El Capitan and SD 3.1.0.dmg

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
We have no plans to write a Mac version of SkyDemon.
rikur
rikur
Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)
Tim,

respecting that you're not planning a 'proper' Mac version....  (and I think I'd probably agree that more features in the core product are a better use of time than versions for every O/S)....

do you know if there are even any plans for an update to the unofficial Mac version - or have we reached the end of the road on Mac?

Edited 10/23/2015 7:15:18 PM by rikur
Aubrey Dawson
Aubrey Dawson
Too Much Forum (782 reputation)Too Much Forum (782 reputation)Too Much Forum (782 reputation)Too Much Forum (782 reputation)Too Much Forum (782 reputation)Too Much Forum (782 reputation)Too Much Forum (782 reputation)Too Much Forum (782 reputation)Too Much Forum (782 reputation)
Tim Dawson (10/23/2015)
We have no plans to write a Mac version of SkyDemon.

Disappointing and in my opinion short sighted, particularly as there are a large number of users using Max OSX coupled with iPads/iPhones. I realise it's extra time and money to code for both platforms, but there are many other small developers that manage to do it.

SkyDemon web is slow, buggy and very flaky, although I feel Silverlight is probably mostly to blame. The SkyDemon experience on the iPad and iPhone is simply superb and you do a great job of it, but it would be nice to do the same on a Mac.
rikur
rikur
Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)Too Much Forum (13K reputation)
I've just spent a couple of hours learning wineskin and have managed to wrap the latest 3.4.2.0 of SkyDemon to run on Mac El Capitan.
In a nutshell:
- download and install winery.app 1.7 from http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php?page=Downloads
- create a new wrapper using the latest engine WS9Wine1.7.52
- from the 'Advanced' menu use WineTricks to add dll package for dotnet3.5SP1 and gdiplus 
- Install SkyDemon (using the normal windows installation file from Skydemon website)
- (optional) under 'screen options' tick the first 3 boxes (Mac Driver, Decorate, Auto)

I now have a completely up-to-date SkyDemon running on El Capitan :-)  .... including printing, and so far it appears stable.
It was actually more straight forward than it looks.

A free and less bloated alternative to Parallels 
(I believe this was the same approach used to create the previous unofficial Mac version)

EDIT:  See later post on page 3 of this thread for a download of all the above 

Edited 11/12/2015 10:59:15 AM by rikur
Thomas
Thomas
Too Much Forum (669 reputation)Too Much Forum (669 reputation)Too Much Forum (669 reputation)Too Much Forum (669 reputation)Too Much Forum (669 reputation)Too Much Forum (669 reputation)Too Much Forum (669 reputation)Too Much Forum (669 reputation)Too Much Forum (669 reputation)
Thanks Rikur,
I did the same and it works fine! But still  its poor not to have a native Mac App......
Anyway, thanks a lot!
rikur
rikur
Chicken (10/26/2015)
Just a remark, wineskin is currently not officially supporting El Capitan Mac OS X 10.11 and for my personal feeling putting such open source uncertainty into my system is not an option. I am expert in IT since 1988, went through all the deep valleys of digitalization and am not keen on such constructions.

There was an update to wineskin on 4th October which resolved the El Capitan issues - feedback in forums suggests it has been stable on El Capitan since then.
I've also worked in IT for ages - fortunately in progressive and successful organisations that understand the role that open source and wrapping have to play in software development.
I suspect this ultimately all comes down to money - developers cost money to employ; developers can either spend time developing features, or porting to other operating systems; you can employ more developers to try to do both, but then you have to charge customers more money; (and in practice you almost always end up with one platform lagging behind another and moans about lack of feature parity).  
Personally if it was my company, I think I'd look to do a good quality wrap of the PC version for the Mac and release it at least once a year in an easy to install manner like the old unofficial Skydemon for Mac version. 
I think your average Mac user in a flying club:
 - doesn't care whether it's coded natively or wrapped, providing it works
 - just wants it to install and run with one click of the mouse

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Given that iOS apps now need to be resizable to work with multitasking on iOS, I wouldn't have thought it impossible that Apple would one day allow iOS apps to run on OS X.
rikur
rikur
Tim Dawson (10/26/2015)
Given that iOS apps now need to be resizable to work with multitasking on iOS, I wouldn't have thought it impossible that Apple would one day allow iOS apps to run on OS X.

I'd agree with that .... I'd speculate they'll announce at the WWDC in June 2017, for launch in Sept 2017 .... just speculation though.

docha
docha
Too Much Forum (442 reputation)Too Much Forum (442 reputation)Too Much Forum (442 reputation)Too Much Forum (442 reputation)Too Much Forum (442 reputation)Too Much Forum (442 reputation)Too Much Forum (442 reputation)Too Much Forum (442 reputation)Too Much Forum (442 reputation)
Thanks for the hint with wineskin! I dared to go this way and SD works, but unfortunetly without printing. A long list of details which I´m overcharged with (debug problems?). No difference when trying a test run... Help from rikur?
Berlin, absolutely clear sky
rikur
rikur
docha (10/27/2015)
Thanks for the hint with wineskin! I dared to go this way and SD works, but unfortunetly without printing. A long list of details which I´m overcharged with (debug problems?). No difference when trying a test run... Help from rikur?
Berlin, absolutely clear sky

Just checking - did you use winetricks to add dotnet35sp1 and gdiplus DLLs?
On my installation printing caused it to crash until I added the gdiplus DLLs - and then all was fine.

Alternatively, I've uploaded what I believe is a working version here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qp6xmsl6du6aa5z/SkyDemon%20for%20Mac%203.4.4.9.zip?dl=0
Download this, uncompress it, then copy it to your applications folder.
The first time you run it, you will need to locate it in the Applications folder from Finder and press the Control key, then click the app icon, then choose Open from the shortcut menu (this is because it is 'untrusted' - see: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18657?locale=en_US )
This was wrapped using Wineskin 2.6.1, using engine WS9Wine1.7.52, and should run on Mac OS X 10.6 and above
I would be interested to know if this works.
Edited 12/6/2015 9:20:50 PM by rikur
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search