Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Airspace Names

Author
psuter
Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dear skydemon team
Is there a way to add airspace names into the details that are displayed when a tma is selected in the what's here window? For example there is a ctr belonging to zurich lszh which is located in the south of the airport over the lake. This ctr can be active or inactive. It is favorable to know that this ctr is valled "ctr 2" when one tties to ask zurich info or twr of that ctr is active. The sam is true for some tma's around basel and i am sure that there are more such examples in other countries. It would in general be helpful to be able yo ask controllers for clearance to ctross tma 1 or 2 etc rather than "your tma"
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)
This is a tricky one. Most countries do not actually show the numbers of CTA parts on charts, they are just there for administrative purposes. And for clearances, the controller would issue these based on your desired routing rather than the pilot explicitly stating which numbered parts they require access to. Therefore at the moment our policy is not to include the numbers in our charts in any form.

We've heard that some Austrian controllers expect the number to be given but haven't had enough demand for this to devote resources to properly researching the issue at this point. We'd welcome feedback from pilots who fly in these areas regularly.
psuter
psuter
Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)
dear tim
thanks for your reply. i just returned from a trip to northern europe yesterday and when coming back to my home field (LSZK) i simulted not knowing the TMA name and asked Zurich Info for clearance to cross TMA Zurich from Winterthur to Turbenthal at 4000ft. they checked and responded that i was not cleared and i should "avoid Zurich TMA 5" and stay below 3500ft. so these guys expect me to known which one is TMA 5 but if i don't have a swiss icao chart i would not know that.

couldn't you simply change the name from "Zurich TMA" to "Zurich TMA 5" in the What's Here? dialog? I see for example that in Belgium there is a "Brussels East One CTA" and "Brussels East Two CTA" ..

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)SkyDemon Team (620K reputation)
Presumably Zurich actually meant for you to remain outside Zurich TMA altogether?
wkm
wkm
Too Much Forum (143 reputation)Too Much Forum (143 reputation)Too Much Forum (143 reputation)Too Much Forum (143 reputation)Too Much Forum (143 reputation)Too Much Forum (143 reputation)Too Much Forum (143 reputation)Too Much Forum (143 reputation)Too Much Forum (143 reputation)
Hi!
At least in Austria I also think it would help if the TMAs and MTMAs, would be numbered according to the AIP. We are used to that because it's plotted that way in both, the ICAO chart and Rogersdata, as well.
In my opinion it would be fine if SD would display 'TMA LOWW 1/2/3...8' instead of 'Wien TMA'. Also Military areas, like 'Tulln TMA' should be displayed as 'MTMA LOXT 1/2/3', and military CTRs as 'MCTR', respectively, as they are only active at office hours.
E.g. there is a small strip east of the CTR LOWW where there is an overlap of TMA LOWW 1 and 2. Area 1 is airspace 'D', the other one is 'E', please note, in the same altitude (2000-2500ft). It would help to be able to distinguish that.
Thank you for consideration!
Best regards,
WKM

Edited 9/15/2015 8:14:05 PM by wkm
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
The notion of using ICAO identifiers in a TMA name is very strange to us. Presumably if you're asking for a transit through it, you wouldn't actually spell it out? You'd actually say "Wien TMA" on the radio?
InfrequentFlyer
InfrequentFlyer
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
Forgive me, I'm not familiar with Austrian TMAs or charts, but in the UK the TMA names are shown on charts, such as SOUTHEND CTR, SOUTHEND CTA and so on.  CTA section numbers such as SOUTHEND CTA-1, SOUTHEND CTA-3 are not shown. 

To take Chicken's example, I've heard ATCs refer to airspace names but not airspace section numbers.  SkyDemon seems to show airspace names although the text is rather small, and in one area - the LUTON CTR - I can't see the name at all. 

I can see the arguement that ATC might expect you to have to hand whatever information is shown on the VFR charts.

Tags
psuter
psuter
in switzerland they refer to both names and section numbers same as in chicken's example.

InfrequentFlyer
InfrequentFlyer
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
psuter (9/20/2015)
in switzerland they refer to both names and section numbers same as in chicken's example.

And both shown on VFR charts?

psuter
psuter
yes.. on VFR charts and the official AIP approach charts you can see the tma name and number ..

check out an approach chart here:
http://www.fgzo.ch/images/fp/vac.jpg

here is a small snapshot of the swiss icao vfr chart around geneva:
https://www.eisenschmidt.aero/media/image/thumbnail/fpch_flight-planner_icao-ch_720x600.png

this one is west of zurich showing tma's 8, 7 and 15 of zurich:
http://flighttraining.ch/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Sprungbetrieb_Hotspot_flighttraining.jpeg

hope this helps

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search