Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Aerodrome Chart overlay not available on Android?

Author
lhe
Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)Too Much Forum (14K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I agree with Svartbjorn. I am quite happy with SkyDemon as a flight planner (using Android), but I would change to another flight planner before changing hardware if I ever felt that the Android version no longer stood up to the competition.

I am using lots of software on my Android so there are many other factors that affect my choice of tablet OS. (Not the least of which is Apples policy for its App Store.)
derWessi
derWessi
Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)
stevelup (15/04/2014)
There is no universally available PDF renderer available on Android devices. On iOS, it is part of the operating system, very high quality and extremely fast.

I understand that it might be to expensive for you to buy and integrate a pdf renderer for android. But how about to convert the approach plates from pdf into a file format, that is easier to handle with on android. For example you could convert the plates in 200 dpi jpg-images. I personally will continue to use VFRNav in flight until SD can show me approach plates as overlay.

Best regards,
Andreas
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
Forgive me if I'm being dim – not being a nerd and all that – but couldn't the universally available and free Adobe PDF Reader be used, or is a 'reader' a different animal to a 'renderer'?

I seem to remember from the SD Newsletter that introduced SD for Android that the declared aim was to achieve feature parity across all platforms so, like many others I'm really hoping that this will become a reality for Android in due course. If necessary, I would even consider paying an 'enhanced' subscription to get this functionality, if that's what it takes.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
The issue is not one of money. We want SkyDemon for Android to have this feature too, but we have a (known) set of things to get in place before it will happen.
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
Thanks Tim. I'm greatly encouraged by your response.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search