Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

iPad 4 / Garmin GLO

Author
AlanG
Too Much Forum (357 reputation)Too Much Forum (357 reputation)Too Much Forum (357 reputation)Too Much Forum (357 reputation)Too Much Forum (357 reputation)Too Much Forum (357 reputation)Too Much Forum (357 reputation)Too Much Forum (357 reputation)Too Much Forum (357 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi All,

I’ve got an iPad 4 with in-built GPS and I’m looking to get the SD application on a 30-day trial and then if all is ok to purchase SD.

I’ve come across a couple of reports that suggest the GPS within the iPad 4 may be a little limited and an external GPS unit paired with the iPad 4 might be a better solution. Amongst those suggested are the Garmin GLO, having the advantage of a GLONASS capability. This is a Bluetooth option rather then a direct plug in to the iPad 4, as would be the case with something like Bad Elf.

Anyone used the iPad 4 / Garmin GLO combination? and if so any feedback would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Alan G.

stevelup
stevelup
Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Personally, I'd try it first before shelling out on the GLO.

For the vast majority of people, the onboard GPS works perfectly adequately.
nje
nje
Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)
I agree with Steve, but I can recomend the Garmin Glo, if you decide to go down the external gps route, I only use it on my ipad mini but it is very fast at picking up a signal.

I used it from Manchester to Malaga and back (passenger with Monarch) and it performed really well.

I've kept it in my pocket when flying and it still doesn't faulter, but I normally just put it in the ashtray. I don't have it next to the front screen because on one journey I left it there for a few hours at my destination and it got really hot from the sun and wouldn't pick up a signal.

When the battery cooled down a bit, it was ok again. Becuase it uses a mobile phone type battery, I bought a spare from ebay and carry it with me as a spare

Don't buy the aviation alternative as it is the same device but it has a few extra fixings with it.
Runways
Runways
Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)
I personally used GLO, As said by nje, was good and worked satisfactorily for a couple of trips. In an airliner you can stick it on the window, obviating the need for holding the ipad awkwardly in order to get a GPS signal.

Heating in the windshield stops it working. There is no way of knowing how charged the GLO is. The battery seems to get discharged even when I thought it was turned off. Another fully charged battery in ones pocket? Perhaps.

On the other hand Bad Elf can connect to several sets simultaneously. So rear seat passengers may benefit if they happen to have their own iPad at the back.

In most trips my GLO was more often discharged than charged. I ultimately had to do without and finally arrived to the same conclusion as Steve's and that was: the internal GPS in an iPad was actually quite adequate for most trips!

Hope this helps.

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
nje
nje
Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)
Runways - I agree that the Glo does have a very sensitive switch and often turns itself on in your bag and then disharges over time.

I converted another GPS pouch that I had by cutting a slot in it where the switch is so that no pressure is on the switch at all, and since then no problems at all since.
Runways
Runways
Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)
Many thanks nje for the tip. I will try that next. I feel my device stopped charging after a couple of trips.
I may need to dismantle it to ensure that the battery connectors are in place.

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search