Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

iPad4 and GNS1000

Author
nje
Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)Too Much Forum (43K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I had a very short flight today and I also had problems with a gps signal. I have already reset my network settings and though tthe problem was cured, but it isn't. Strange thing, all my plates have disappered as well. Because I was in the right seat, I did a hard turnoff and got the signal back.

I take it all back, I've just got home, started it up four times in a row and everything is working ok, including the plates.

No idea whats going on, but definitely a problem earlier today, gremlins!!
Edited 3/5/2013 3:11:52 PM by nje
Hannah@SkyDemon
Hannah@SkyDemon
Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)
The coloured triangles indicate that the altitude readout is likely to be accurate within a certain distance. For example a blue triangle means that the position may be accurate to within 50ft, while green means within 100ft, yellow within 150ft, orange within 250ft and red for a more unreliable altitude reading. Just remember that the iPad uses GPS to find your horizontal and vertical position, and so the altitude instrument is not going to be as accurate as a real altimeter.

You may find that you often see the blue triangle when your iPad has an additional wifi or 3G signal to help find a more accurate fix using network data in addition to satellite information.
jonroberts
jonroberts
Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)
Thank you for the reply Hannah. When will you update the online documentation to include the blue triangle description ?
Terence
Terence
Too Much Forum (291 reputation)Too Much Forum (291 reputation)Too Much Forum (291 reputation)Too Much Forum (291 reputation)Too Much Forum (291 reputation)Too Much Forum (291 reputation)Too Much Forum (291 reputation)Too Much Forum (291 reputation)Too Much Forum (291 reputation)
Hmm...I was the original poster on this topic.

I have tried every suggestion here and, in desperation, even sent my GNS1000 back to Transair and now have a new one.

Ansolutely nothing works, and I'm now giving up and will wait for the Andriod version of SD to come out.

I'm a little miffed as I bought the iPad specifically to run SD!

Hey ho...
jonroberts
jonroberts
Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)
Terence, go back to basics on this one.

1. Can you get the GPS to Bluetooth pair with the iPad ok ?
2. If it pairs, can you get position data out of it with the free 'GPS' App mentioned early on in this thread?
3. Is the accuracy reported in the free GPS App around the 10m mark (this is the best I seem to get from my GNS1000) ?

If the answer to all the above questions is yes and you still can't get SD to work its either a iOS privacy or location sharing issue in my view.

If the answer is no to any of the above, let me know and I'll try to help.

Cheers - Jon.
Terence
Terence
Too Much Forum (291 reputation)Too Much Forum (291 reputation)Too Much Forum (291 reputation)Too Much Forum (291 reputation)Too Much Forum (291 reputation)Too Much Forum (291 reputation)Too Much Forum (291 reputation)Too Much Forum (291 reputation)Too Much Forum (291 reputation)
Thanks for your reply Jon.

I installed the GPS app on my iPad.

The GNS1000 is paired and connected to my iPad, although strangely under Settings/Bluetooth it says GNS 1000 connected but the 'throbber' after the text 'Devices' is constantly going round and the iPad is constantly 'discoverable'. I don't know if that is relevant.

The GNS 1000 blue light is on steadily (as is the GPS indicator).

The GPS app reports a location that looks correct, but the red light does not flash (it's off).

If I force an update the red light flashes once, but no more.

This behaviour is the same as when I use SkyDemon, i.e. the aeroplane icon is yellow at first, and goes red after a few seconds, never to update again.

I also get 10m accuracy.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
If the red light in that GPS app does not flash (about once per second or more) then the iPad is not getting GPS information from your external receiver and delivering it to apps. There is something wrong with your setup and no app can get GPS information from your receiver. You should take this up with the manufacturer of your GPS receiver as they will have had several customers experiencing the same issue and will be able to help you diagnose the problem.
jonroberts
jonroberts
Tim,

It's my belief that there is nothing wrong with the GPS receiver. I too have a GNS1000 which works without problem if I read the raw NMEA0813 data from it on a Mac, but periodically my iPad refuses to get the data stream - or more specifically - the 'GPS App' doesn't get anything from the underlying iOS navigation subsystem. I think it's an iOS problem, but the problem for you is that SkyDemon is the application people see as the problem. It doesn't help that SD silently 'goes red', it could be a better approach to be more visual with the user when an extended loss of GPS communication occurs - you are the victim in this case, not the cause. It also doesn't help when we have to ask repeatedly what the blue triangle means in the ALT display - and still don't get a complete answer - and the documentation is still unchanged..

Anyway, moaning over - let's try and help Terry get his unit working.

Terry :

1. Firstly, turn off the WiFi on the iPad. The iPad will supplement positional information from WiFi spots if finds one. Turn it off since this can give the impression of having some positional awareness when in fact none is available from the GPS.
  2. Close down all running Apps - double-click the large button at the bottom of the iPad, tap and hold one of the running Apps shown in the bottom of the display, then tap the red '-' sign on each one until there's none left
  3. Reset privacy : Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Location and Privacy (and confirm reset)
  4. Reset network : Settings -> General -> Reset Network Settings (and confirm reset)
  5. iPad will reboot
  6. When iPad is ready, enable Bluetooth and pair with your GNS1000, preferably outside, so that blue LED comes on and green LED stays on (both solid, not flashing)
  7. Now start the 'GPS' App (not SkyDemon!) - it will ask you to allow location access to the App - confirm yes. This is vital !
  8. Watch what the GPS App display tells you. It should start showing GPS data immediately.
  9. Set 'Desired Accuracy' to Best and 'Distance Filter' to None.
You should see the red dot in the middle of the app flash reliably once per second. You can try pressing 'Force Update' but if that doesn't kick it into life, there's still something wrong.

Assuming you are all good up to this point, start SkyDemon and 'Go Flying' - you should get a blue or green ALT triangle if your vertical GPS accuracy reported better than 15m or so.

Some points to note about the 'GPS App'. Course and Speed are shown only when moving, so if you are stationary, it will be '-'. Speed will indicate 0mph if you are stationary WITH good GPS data, or '-' if GPS data is missing. Altitude and Location accuracy can show accuracies obtained from a local WiFi signal - not necesarily GPS - again, TURN OFF WIFI to be sure you are using GPS !

In my experience, unless the red dot flashes once per second, AND you get a changing speed and course indication in the GPS App when moving, the iPads positional awareness is unreliable and SkyDemon along with any other navigation app will not work.

Hope this helps - let me know.

Jon.
Terence
Terence
Yeeeees!!!! It works, after following your instructions Jon.

I'm so pleased - been struggling with this on and off for 2 months.

Thankyou so much for your help.

Terry
Hannah@SkyDemon
Hannah@SkyDemon
Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)
jonroberts (12/03/2013)

It also doesn't help when we have to ask repeatedly what the blue triangle means in the ALT display - and still don't get a complete answer - and the documentation is still unchanged.

The documentation will be updated in line with the next software upgrade, so you should expect to see any changes after the release of SkyDemon version 2.6.
Edited 3/14/2013 2:22:09 PM by Hannah@SkyDemon
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search