Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

iPad4 and GNS1000

Author
www.pilotenshop.net
Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi, i have the same problems, since i updated to ios 6.1.2.

=> red plane, no speed, no gps info.

The thing is, that other apps than SD work fine.
Perhaps it has to do with the ios update

Best regards
Dietmar
nje
nje
Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)
I have now got an ipad mini and the new garmin glo, and have yet to fly with it.(hopefully will do on Tuesday) I have tested it around the house and it seemed to work OK.

I drove to Manchester today and took the opportunity to test the combination and was very frustrated that the GPS signal kept dropping out with the aircraft turning yellowish.

For all intents and purposes the ipad was showing a bluetooth connection with the GPS

When at my destination it started working ok, but haven't figured out why, on the return journey it worked flawlessly even though I turned off and restarted the ipad and then turned off and restarted the gps, they connected each time and worked OK.

But when I got home I had the same problem with the signal dropping out.

Then I noticed that the GPS has synced with my mobile which was in my pocket. I unpaired them and it and all was well again.

Could this be happening to anyone else? I'll be doing a few more switching on and off before I am satisfied it is cured.

For what it's worth my 'alt' indicator shows 'blue' but I'm not sure if that is because I'm at ground level or not.

I've also just updated to the latest ios, and didn't have any issues before that update.
Edited 3/2/2013 3:53:15 PM by nje
nje
nje
Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)Too Much Forum (44K reputation)
Forget all the above, it seems to be pot luck now whether the gps signal stays connected, if you can get through the first 20 seconds your'e ok otherwise no chance.

I think it's back to the cheap chinese device for now.
www.pilotenshop.net
www.pilotenshop.net
Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)Too Much Forum (985 reputation)
Which ios Versions do you use ? when you get the gps problems ? 6.1.1 / 6.1.2 :-)
richardsmi
richardsmi
Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)Too Much Forum (503 reputation)
I have had this happen twice and I think in both cases it was after I had updated the ipad or Skydemon software.
Each time I have corrected it by not just switching off the I pad but doing a Deep Off by keeping the off button pressed some time. You will know if you have achieved a Deep Off because an apple symbol comes up on the screen as it wakes up.
www.pilotenshop.net
www.pilotenshop.net
Hi,

i have that blue triangle too.
Not seen before ?

Best regards
Dietmar
nje
nje
I have ver 6.1.2 and have done the hard switch off at least 6 times and it does works and it does seem to correct it, but it isn't a permanent fix, otherwise I wouldn't have had to do it so many times. Hard switch off = holding the lock button and menu button down at same time.
jonroberts
jonroberts
Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)
@nje - similar experience to you today. Ipad on, GPS ok, went flying, no GPS, turned off iPad. On return tried SD in the car - all working fine. I hadn't closed the App or rebooted the device. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the AGPS 'feature' (cell/wifi assisted GPS) when there is no cell or wifi signal in the air ? I'm going to try turning on 'Airplane' mode next time to ensure the only connection is Bluetooth.

So many people seem to be reporting similar GPS instabilities with the navigation function, there has to be something wrong somewhere. In flight is not the right time to spend rebooting devices and head down trying to get the GPS working (!).

Tim and the SD team, if you are following this thread, two questions for you :

1. What does the 'blue' triangle in the ALT display mean (undocumented) ?
2. What can we as the user community do to help you troubleshoot this ?

Cheers,
Jon.
iPad3, internal GPS, external GNS1000, same instabilities as reported here, iOS6.1.2 (10B146), latest SD version.
nje
nje
I've just spent the last hour and half switching two ipad minis and two gps units on and off and have eventually worked out a squence that will temporarily solve this problem.

Firstly I borrowed my son's mini ipad and his GNS 5870 which he hasn't installed the latest apple update on (ver6.1.2)

That works fine and picks up a blutooth connection and a gps signal and holds it. I restarted it about 15 times or so to test it.

Secondly I tried his GNS 5870 on mine with the same results I have with my Garmin Glo, intermittent success but no reliability.

I finally worked out a sequence which is a bit of a pain but it worked every time and picked up a bluetooth connection and maintained a gps signal.

Boot up your ipad > Do a Hard shutdown (Hold the Lock (power) key and Menu key down, until it goes off) > Boot it up again >Start Skydemon

> Now switch on your GPS unit > Wait for gps signal and bluetooth connection > now click 'Go Flying' You should now have a gps lock. That has worked for the last 12 times I have tried it.

Not finished yet.

When closing down you then have to:

Switch off GPS unit first, > Then do a Hard shutdown (otherwise, the next time you boot up, you won't get a GPS connection.

I hope this works for you, it certainly does on mine.

One further point - Because the mini ipad that my son owns isn't suffering this problem, it does indicate quite strongly that this problem has been brought about by Apples latest update and not Skydemon. Good Luck, and I hope the skydemon team can find a workaround for this annoying problem.
Edited 3/2/2013 7:54:53 PM by nje
Paulmccurry@btinternet.com...
Paulmccurry@btinternet.com
Too Much Forum (63 reputation)Too Much Forum (63 reputation)Too Much Forum (63 reputation)Too Much Forum (63 reputation)Too Much Forum (63 reputation)Too Much Forum (63 reputation)Too Much Forum (63 reputation)Too Much Forum (63 reputation)Too Much Forum (63 reputation)
I went flying yesterday and I was unable to obtain a GPS signal. It worked perfectly well last time but since Apple have upgraded the IPAD software to IOS 6.12 I couldn't get it to work.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search