Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

VFR plates for Europe and ICAO carts for Europe

Author
Martin Bech
Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi great guys.Have been testing your great app together with testing the Air Navigation Pro.

Your app is very easy and logic to use but I miss the ICAO carts for Europe and VFR plates for Europe which is included in Air Navigator Pro.

Please incorporate them in to your app and you have the only system with all the functionalities necessary to complete flight based on official approved data. Please see test done in Denmark (April 2012). I believe that electronic planning will be accepted in the near future so you could as well be preparedJ.

My version is downloaded December 16. 2012 so maybe there already is an update?

PS: The scratch screen in Air Navigator Pro is transparent and activated by dragging 3 fingers along on the Ipad. I like that better than your solution.

But again – great app!!!!

Regards,

Martin

Martin Bech
Martin Bech
Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)
Sorry, but the Attach function do not work???

Martin
GeKaiser
GeKaiser
Too Much Forum (6.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.7K reputation)
Hi Martin,

what are you missing? Skydemon comes with free (and perfect) vector charts that have many advantages compared with scanned ICAO cards. They show you only what you need to see and nothing else. Details such as the vertical boundaries and activity periods of airspace, contact frequencies, runways and much more are easily accessible yet not intrusive. And because the charts use vector graphics, they can be scaled and rotated while in flight so your track points upwards with no loss of legibility: all text stays the right way up.

And if you decide to fly to another country, simply turn on the new chart and start exploring - no need to familiarize with the natioanl design of each country. This is ectreemly convenien an whole Europe is free/included in the basic subscription.

Cheers
Georg

Beni
Beni
Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)
[quote]GeKaiser (10/01/2013)
Skydemon comes with free (and perfect) vector charts that have many advantages compared with scanned ICAO cards.
[/quote]

Not all is great about them I think, even though I generally like the vector charts too. However, flying VFR in the Swiss Alps is where I miss the ICAO charts the most. Mountains and it's passes as well as proposed VFR routes through the alps are entirely missing in SDs charts for instance. Also the shadings for terrain are much better done in the swiss ICAO chart, IMO. I usually use SD, however when flying over the alps I always use Air Nav pro because of that.
GeKaiser
GeKaiser
Too Much Forum (6.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.7K reputation)
Dear beni,

I absolut agree with you, when it comes to the Swiss ICAO chart from Skyguide. But I never rely on my iPad as primary navigation aid, especially int he alps. The combination of the paper chart on my lap plus the SD moving map is the genius.

Georg
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
It is unlikely that we will add ICAO maps. The reason most people buy SkyDemon is for our own charts, which are much better than charts designed for printing in most situations.

If there are AIP-published routes in Switzerland that you think we should have, but we do not, please let us know where to find these and we will consider adding them to our vector charting.
Beni
Beni
Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.2K reputation)
Well, the SD vector charts are missing proposed VFR transit routes over the alps and throughout the country, mountain names are missing, the shadings aren't as detailed as the ICAO charts (valleys). And, in addition, in Switzerland the vector charts also depict glider restricted areas which are not relevant for planes (the ICAO chart chart doesn't). It looks like the entire eastern party is prohibited Smile

Again, I generally like the vector charts but above things make it not so useful in Switzerland, IMO.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Are these routes published in the AIP somewhere?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search