Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Aerodrome Charts

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
The AFE plates are fine. It is likely to only be AIP plates (over which we have no control) that are occasionally published in a portrait orientation even when their content is landscape. We have made some progress with the authorities in getting this changed in the future.
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)
The quick fix for this is to lock the rotation of the iPad and turn the device as a whole.

-- Chris.
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)
You can do that anyway - just download them into an app such as Goodreader, and you can organise them in folders and even annotate them as you wish.

A double click on the home button will allow you to hot switch between SD and Goodreader. It also has the potential benefit of providing some redundancy - if either app were to crash unrecoverably in the air, you won't have lost access to everything.
TheHoff
TheHoff
Too Much Forum (638 reputation)Too Much Forum (638 reputation)Too Much Forum (638 reputation)Too Much Forum (638 reputation)Too Much Forum (638 reputation)Too Much Forum (638 reputation)Too Much Forum (638 reputation)Too Much Forum (638 reputation)Too Much Forum (638 reputation)
Has anyone tried the AFE plates? Do they appear in the correct orientation on the iPad?

Mark
Johannes
Johannes
Too Much Forum (436 reputation)Too Much Forum (436 reputation)Too Much Forum (436 reputation)Too Much Forum (436 reputation)Too Much Forum (436 reputation)Too Much Forum (436 reputation)Too Much Forum (436 reputation)Too Much Forum (436 reputation)Too Much Forum (436 reputation)
ckurz7000 (13/07/2012)
Another solution would be to allow upload of pdf documents manually. This would solve two things:

1) I could obtain the public chart myself, rotate it in Acrobat and Upload the rotated chart to SD.

2) It would allow me to upload custom charts or charts that aren't available yet such as VFR approach charts.

What do others think?

-- Chris.

I like that very much, because today more pdf plates are available for free (f.e. France), than in the SD package are available.
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)Too Much Forum (65K reputation)
Another solution would be to allow upload of pdf documents manually. This would solve two things:

1) I could obtain the public chart myself, rotate it in Acrobat and Upload the rotated chart to SD.

2) It would allow me to upload custom charts or charts that aren't available yet such as VFR approach charts.

What do others think?

-- Chris.
Colin Bond
Colin Bond
Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)
I agree that is a quick fix, and works easily 'on the ground', but with my iPad joke mounted in the air, not sure it's a practical solution when airborne!

I'm in debate with AIS, and certainly the more of us that ask them to produce a plate version suitable for electronic display, the more chance we have of solving this minor issue. ais.supervisor@nats.co.uk

flyboy430
flyboy430
Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.1K reputation)
My own quick fix is to use the the iPads rotation "lock" button when displaying the chart and rotating the iPad to suit!
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)
That would be a quick fix. We cannot add such a button to the default PDF viewer in the iPad, which we are currently using.

Please contact ais.supervisor@nats.co.uk if you find the delivery of a landscape plate inside a portrait PDF to be a problem.
Colin Bond
Colin Bond
Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.4K reputation)
Tim, I note you say that there is no quick fix, but could your software experts add a button to 'rotate through 90' in the header for the plate pages, as found in some picture programmes?
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search