Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

IFR Version?

Author
sprucegoose
Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
US-based navigation products ported over to Europe are never quite as appropriate for our conditions as native-designed ones. Try setting alarms for class A airspace (the one that REALLY matters) on a Garmin 430, for example. Far better to support the most promising of our own software companies, like SD, to encourage the development of Synthetic Vision, ANHR hookup and the rest.
madgav
madgav
Too Much Forum (3.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.3K reputation)
This is an interesting topic for me. I've been using the evaluation version of SD and love it so far, but one thing holding me back from subscribing is that it is clearly and unambiguously marketed as a VFR product. As a recent IMCR I still harbour some concerns that it may in the future be inadequate in some way. With the double subscription in the first year I would not want to be jumping ship after a year or two Smile
However I find myself asking the same question as Tim in post #2. Exactly what IFR features would I want that SD does not have? Don't most IMC rated pilots continue to use the CAA charts (would be nice to have access to IFR charts too I suppose)? Airways reporting points are in there already. Approach plates can be downloaded from the AIS website (although access to them 'on the fly' would be nice). I don't see myself doing a full IR (until such times as it becomes much more accessible anyway) so flying in airways and IFR outside the UK are not currently a consideration for me ;-)
Trying to convince myself that SD has what I require, for now & the future. My feeling is that it should be perfectly adequate for any IFR flights on an IMCR?
Edited 5/29/2012 10:52:28 AM by madgav
Runways
Runways
Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)
In a product such as SD (and not withstanding what Tim mentioned earlier here re SD being aimed at the VFR market) I would certainly appreciate, for now:
1. IFR Charts with IFR plates that are accessible and fly-able at the press of a button.
2. A more reliable (recognising that this is dependent on the data source given to the SD team) pseudo ILS and one that does not just cut out.
3. A high Profile pseudo DME within an instruments Panel in the iPad version.

Any more Christmas wishes?

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
Edited 5/29/2012 8:06:42 PM by Runways
madgav
madgav
Too Much Forum (3.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (3.3K reputation)

IFR Charts with IFR plates that are accessible and fly-able at the press of a button.

http://skydemon.aero/forums/Uploads/Images/88705401-54db-4acd-9cb5-b8f2.gif

With regard to pseudo-ILS / pseudo-DME, how much reliance would you place on these? Are you really going to use them to fly a DIY approach to minima in IMC at an unfamiliar airfield? Unsure

Edit: Or perhaps just in marginal VFR conditions at a familiar one?

Edited 5/30/2012 11:00:21 AM by madgav
Runways
Runways
Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)
...As much as I would on the synthetic vision in Garmin 795, Air Navigation Pro just to name a few.
We could ask these companies why they resorted to adding these novelties, I suppose. Or, why use a GPS in a VFR flight in the first place?

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
madgav
madgav

Fair enough! Smile (genuine question btw, from a new IMCR who hasn't done any 'real' IFR flying Wink )

In which case I would have thought that a pseudo-DME should be fairly easy to implement?

Integration of approach plates with the GPS perhaps more difficult to implement but I can see how that would be *very* useful.
Perhaps I should hold off subscribing until I see if any of these features have a chance of appearing in a future SD release....
Edited 5/31/2012 10:45:59 PM by madgav
Runways
Runways
If I were to make a suggestion, I would recommend taking the plunge and subscribing, simply because SD is such a pleasure to fly with. My subscription runs out in Sept 2013 (not 2012).
SD team is doing a good job in a competitive market and deserves to be encouraged.
PS: IMC skills would quickly wither away if not practised regularly, preferably in real weather, which is easily achieved in the good old British weather. And here the instrument plates would be "very" handy.

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
Edited 5/31/2012 2:53:53 PM by Runways
madgav
madgav
Yes I know, agree with all of the above.
Regards
Gavin.
Erwin
Erwin
Too Much Forum (342 reputation)Too Much Forum (342 reputation)Too Much Forum (342 reputation)Too Much Forum (342 reputation)Too Much Forum (342 reputation)Too Much Forum (342 reputation)Too Much Forum (342 reputation)Too Much Forum (342 reputation)Too Much Forum (342 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
On the charts of the Netherlands and Belgium you can see the lower airways. Why not on the charts from other countries like France, Germany and Spain?
sprucegoose
sprucegoose
Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)
I use the lower airways in France, VFR. They are mainly Class E and D, and if you're on a flightplan at somewhere between FL55 and FL105, VFR on top with an IMC rating to keep legal, it's by far the most relaxing way to the Med; you just get smoothly handed on from sector to sector. On my last flight I found all the airways I needed indicated on SD, although I understand from Tim's earlier post that the airways coverage is not complete in SD.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search