Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Problem with iPad version

Author
stuartforrest
Too Much Forum (6K reputation)Too Much Forum (6K reputation)Too Much Forum (6K reputation)Too Much Forum (6K reputation)Too Much Forum (6K reputation)Too Much Forum (6K reputation)Too Much Forum (6K reputation)Too Much Forum (6K reputation)Too Much Forum (6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have two problem with the iPad version

1. General slowness on my iPad version one. When I open the app it goes very slow and takes about a minute before maps appear. It is mostly pretty slow but does work fine as long as you wait for it to respond. Much slower than the pd version on my ancient windows tablet. Not sure what the problem is.

2. If I click on charts in the settings I just get a blue screen with the skydemon logo. I have left it for five minutes but nothing changes. I have also tried killing the app and restarting but no change. In fact the only way I can use the app after I have clicked charts is to manually kill the app and open it again.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Beech Bonanza A36 Based at Blackpool

G-FOZZ www.gotoair.com
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)
1. After initial terrain rendering has completed you should not see much slowdown as the tiles are cached. We've done a few improvements to the map rendering in the forthcoming update to the iPad version.

2. We've seen this intermittently but do not yet know the cause so haven't got a fix. Restarting the app will normally make the charts screen accessible again. It may be related to external memory pressure so try closing some other apps that are running before going back into SkyDemon and trying again.
neilmurg
neilmurg
Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)
iPad does not necessarily close down it's apps, try showing the applist on the app bar (four finger swipe up on home screen, OR double click on home screen) it reveals apps in the order last played. Then hold down on an app till red 'x' appears, close all apps, you should then find all apps run faster (untill it gets clogged up again).
Also
Do full shutdown on ipad. Hold down power key and front button, ignore the 'swipe to shutdown' button, a few seconds latter ipad will shutdown for real. Next start up will take longer (because it is starting from scratch).
:-)
neilmurg
neilmurg
Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.6K reputation)
btw, loving SkyDemon on iPad, planning to throw out some instruments to make room on dashboard :-P
Mike M
Mike M
Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.5K reputation)
I had exactly the same blue screen problem when trying to load the France chart, and it was instantly fixed by the solution suggested above. Thanks!

Alpi Pioneer 200
neilt
neilt
Too Much Forum (768 reputation)Too Much Forum (768 reputation)Too Much Forum (768 reputation)Too Much Forum (768 reputation)Too Much Forum (768 reputation)Too Much Forum (768 reputation)Too Much Forum (768 reputation)Too Much Forum (768 reputation)Too Much Forum (768 reputation)
I confirm the blue screen issue with my iPad V1.

Issue when [Go Flying] sometimes - no SD logo if no GPS satellites visible; this seem to be a sticky issue so even going outside with a clear unobstructed sky will not change the screen - method of shutting down SD then starting again workaround works. I pressed on the red '-' however, not an 'x'.

Shame, as I find the app really useful and much cheaper to run than throwing money at Garmin. The facility to use US Sectional presentation is excellent.

Cheers

Neil
Tags
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)
Neil, could you describe a bit more about the "no SD logo" problem you talked about above?
rickowen
rickowen
Too Much Forum (213 reputation)Too Much Forum (213 reputation)Too Much Forum (213 reputation)Too Much Forum (213 reputation)Too Much Forum (213 reputation)Too Much Forum (213 reputation)Too Much Forum (213 reputation)Too Much Forum (213 reputation)Too Much Forum (213 reputation)
Hello

I am using the ipad demo version, seems to work well in flight but on the ground the virtual radar is blank. When I first started using this software I found this feature very useful to plan around complex airspace. I am a new ipad/skydemon user so do I need to actively switch something on? It's the non gps version paired with a GNS5870.

I fly a eurostar and have found that using a griffin rubber boot the device balances very well on my leg - plus there's no flap to obstruct the control. Its a bit big to put up on the panel.

Thanks
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
The virtual radar when not in flight mode, is designed to show you your planned route. You therefore need to plan a route before you'll see anything in it.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search